I got my first Fretless!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexssandro, Nov 17, 2001.

1. I just wanted to share that I got my first fretless! I've been playing bass for almost 11 years and all I can think is, "Why didn't I get one sooner?!?" It really opens up a whole new world. I mean, I've tried them many times before, but this was the first time I really spent quality practice time with it, and man, I love it!

I'm actually having fun just playing the darn major scale and mwah-ing the hell out of it!:D It feels so good to just let the notes sing instead of playing fast runs. Anyways, I'm sure all you fretless players have known this for years.

Oh, the bass? It's just a MIM Fender Jazz. Nothing special, but it's a good enough start for me!:)
  2. Hey!!! Good for you Alex!!!

Never played a fretless here...yet.Would`nt mind just getting a really cheap-o one to cut my teeth on though.Is yours lined or unlined?I really think the unlined look classy as hell....of course I would have to get the lined!! lol Anyways,hope she brings you much joy!:)

Any pics forthcoming?;)
  4. Hey, thanks guys for sharing my enthusiasm! It's lined and purplish in color. As far as gear goes, the bass is rather modest, but MWAAAAAHHHHHHH indeed!!!
  5. Modest? Cost of your instrument has no bearing on what you can do with it. I love my MIM Jazz (fretted), and there's nothing I can't do with it that I could do on a $1500 bass. (I did put in a new bridge though). Also, consider having a tech. set it up for you and get your action as low as possible.

6. The "modest" statement was actually meant in response to posting a picture. (should have specified exactly what I meant. :() I mean with JT posting pics of his doubleneck 7 strings, Munji with his Laklands, Nino with his Sadowskys, I can't quite see myself posting the pic. ;) Don't own a digital camera anyway.

As far as my new bass, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. I have a new instrument which brings out a different side to my playing (that right there is invaluable to me), I think it sounds good, and I'm not broke because of it!

Once I'm set on what strings I'm going to be using on it, I will get it set up by a tech. I like very low action, which I know is important for getting maximum mwah out of a fretless. My only concern is the type of strings I'm going to use. I'm not too crazy about flatwounds, but I don't want my neck eaten up either!
  7. Hey it does`nt matter what you got!We want to see,dang it!!:D If you are happy with it and it plays well for you ,then we would like to see it.I never get tired of looking at or hearing about fellow bassplayers` instruments.:) No contests here,we all have stuff to learn,no matter how long we have been at it.

Now git dem dar pics online sonny!!:p
  8. oh well. i'll post my new fretless, like alexssandro
    its my first fretless, but i just couldn't pass it up,

i'm still going to play the fretted, the overwaters a really sweet bass, but another skill in your amoury can never be bad :)

9. Congratulations son, you are a Man now.

Have fun with it, there is a whole other world of tones and sush out there...
    and those damn frets get in the way.

10. CEGroove

Aug 7, 2001
    San Diego
    Well, these posts did it for me. I've been obsessing over a certain little fretless number, and now I'm gonna take the plunge. Will report back later when I have it in my hands.
  11. Hey Ty,

That`s a classy looking bass dude!Sweeeeetttt!!

;) :)
  12. Yeah, what kind of bass is that? Congrats!:)
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks like a Yamaha TRB5-II or III.
  14. as far as strings eating up the neck, can't you get a tech to coat the neck to protect it from the strings?

boat epoxy or polyester?
  15. spot on embellisher, bought it from a drummer :)

haha, anyway, yeah its a TRBII in amber, the grains lovely, but i haven't recieved it yet, all the waiting for cheques to clear, it'll be here wednesday, can't wait.

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Congratulations! Fretless is a gas, huh? I got my first fretless about two years ago, a similarly modest Dean Edge 5, and I am completely in love with the thing. I've got basses that cost three or tour times as much that have spent the majority of the last two years sitting in cases because I'm convinced that I've found my voice on the fretless.

I did my first project with it earlier this year and I'm very happy with the results. Still have to work on my intonation though.:oops: I want Sting intonation.:)