I got my first upright!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by lobster_boy, Feb 26, 2002.

1. I bought it from my friend at my church for $500. Its a 1/2 scale and the action seems really low and sound really warm. The strings seem to be made out of silicon or some other clear plastic like the ones on the Ashbory bass. If I could have any info on these I'd like it. It's alot easier to play than my other DB I play at my schools orchestra and feels more like a BG. It's made in Mexico, from which it was bought. My friend has been playing it in several mariache bands so I'm pretty sure that its set up differently for that kind of music but maybe I'm wrong. If I could have any information on why it differs so much from all the other DB's I've played I'd appreciate it.
    BTW I should have some pics of it on here soon.
  2. OK, it's a start. Welcome to DB. I have to tell you that as you progress, you will find a 1/2 bass rather confining; if you stay with DB, you'll end up like the rest of us, buying another.
  3. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Congrats - I made that leap from electric to URB about 5 months ago and I wish I had "discovered" the URB years ago. Have fun.