Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got my Meyer Sound cabs!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by prockenklang, Oct 7, 2004.

1. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I went to Meyer Sound yesterday and picked-up my new rig.I got it back to Monterey and hooked it up,and all I can say is AMAZING!

2. I am curious, what is your rig, specs etc. Come on, you can't say you have a new rig and leave it at that. You have to give us all the gory details and of course photo's

Matthew

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1

4. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I start with a Glockenklang BassArt Classic pre-amp,into a Meyer Sound LD-2 ,which sends the mids and highs to a Meyer Sound UPA-1P (powered 1x12 w/horn),and the lows to a Meyer Sound USW-1P(powered 2x15 sub).I can't begin to tell you how great it sounds,it is awesome!!! I will take some pictures next week,but for now,you can see Anthony Jackson's cabinets on Talk Bass,just do a Meyer search.I bought the exact same cabinets that he has,only I added the LD-2 and am using a different pre-amp.You don't need the LD-2 to run them,you can go out of the pre right into the UPA,and out of the UPA into the USW and it still sounds great,but it is alot more flexable using the LD-2!
    Several guys have asked me how it compares to other bass rigs,and I have to say that it is not even fair to compare it to other rigs,it is light years ahead of everything that I have ever tried,and I have tried everything!!!! It should be better,it is Very expensive!!!
    If you really like your rig,and can't afford to upgrade,don't even try a Meyer rig,it will ruin your day! I drove to McCune Sound in San Francisco last Wednesday just to try a Meyer cab and was floored! I called my Meyer rep right away and did the deal,and said I would drive right over to Berkeley and pick it up,but he said it would take a few days.I was sooo bummed because I would not be able to pick them up until my next dayoff which was yesterday! Talk about not being able to sleep due to a severe case of GAS!!!!
    Take a look at their website,it is very interesting.www.meyersound.com ,and if anybody is interested in getting a Meyer Sound rig,send me an e-mail and I can arrange it!

John

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    How expensive is "Very" ... c'mon quit holding out on us! ;)

6. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    The following prices are list,I can't quote discounted prices over the internet:

Meyer Sound UPA-1P =$5310.00
    Meyer Sound USW-1P=$4230.00
    Meyer Sound LD-2=$1790.00
    Glockenklang BassArt Classic pre-amp=$1850.00

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    HOLY B#@*H - A@S - F%*K!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I'm sure it sounds killer.............

8. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Some serious Pro Sound stuff you have going on here. If I am not mistaken, didn't I see Lesh and Gordon running some similar rigs ?? I know Lesh was always into the PA/Pro Sound style bass rigs. Very cool. SICK low-end comes from rigs like this in addition to a very hi-fi response.

I'm a sound guy and remember using UPA's with Sandi Patti years ago. They were passive then and also had the same 2x15 sub (also passive). They ran 4 of the 2x15 subs + 2 of the 2x18 subs in a small arena (less than 10k seats) and it sounded KILLER. MSL makes some amazing gear. Their low-end never ceases to amaze me.

Post some pics when you get a chance and congrats !! Oh and bet those cabs aren't very light weight !! :eek:

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    :eek:

OK. You meant VERY.

10. i don't know, my rig compares...oh, wait, it doesn't.

peavey cirrus BXP...$719
    warwick quadruplet...$1000
    crest pro 7200...$2100
    bergantino HT-112...$749

i paid under $1600 for all of it, but i won't tell you how much went for what. even with my bass included, i could barely even match the sub alone! that is an expensive rig, but i'm glad you're really happy with it. i wish everyone could reach the level of happiness you and i have with our rigs.

robb.

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    The 2x15 seems brutal in sound, price and weight!

I wonder how it compares to a Mackie SWA1801(powered sub, 1x18"). The specs are very similar & the price is definetly not...

~S~

12. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I WISH I could do a comparo/demo! They would throw me out within minutes after everything fell off the walls! LOL!

I believe the Meyers would win hands down but like they say, "sound cost money son, how good do ya wanna sound..."

Meh, maybe I'll sell one of my cars & buy some of these beast...

~S~

15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    [/QUOTE] If I am not mistaken, didn't I see Lesh and Gordon running some similar rigs ?? [/QUOTE]

Yep, Gordo's been using the powered Meyer 2x15 for a few years now. He copies Phil a lot, so I'm guessing that's where he got the idea. He's not rocking shows with 80,000 people anymore so he probably leaves that fridge at home.

16. First, congrats on the badest of the bad. Feels good to actually OWN the best you can have...at any price!
    Depending on the dealer, but roughly 20% off list is the hit on these...(there isn't a big markdown)...and no, nothing compares. Although I've run through Clair Bros. systems...well, its kind of a coin toss.
    Ya know though...I think if I was going to go with either of these companies; I'd seriously consider two of their powered floor monitors; like the Meyer (PSM2) - they're just unbelievably loud...and need I say crystal clear. These guys are in completely different classes than the 'bass guitar amplification' that grandpa used. The Ferrari of sound reinforcement!

17. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Why not the UMS-1P?

Thanks

Robert VanLane

18. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I didn't go with the 650P because for what I am doing,it was just too big! The USW-1P worked out perfect for me.I wanted to avoid having to use my 10 ft.equipment truck to move this rig,I wanted to be able to move it in my Honda Odyssey!

John