Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got my Mike Dirnt bass today!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greendayjustin, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Im so exited about this one...It sounds great..the pickups and bridge make the bass sound amazing. Fender really did get Mikes tone into these basses. The hardware is all great, but I have to be truthfull that the fret job was a little sloppy. By all means this bass is still very playable. Mine is in black, and I got it at my local music store for $550 new. I will post pics when I get home..Im at my friends house right now. Im really happy with this one guys. :bassist:

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    It's all about getting what works best for you. Congrats man. Always good to hear of a bass finding it's way home.

3. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    congrats. betcha it sounds really great. find a reputable tech in your area to do a set-up job with those frets and you will really be in business

4. How are you liking that bass? I took the plunge and bought the black one today. $500 shipped from Musician's Friend. Should be here Friday. I hope it doesn't suck. :)

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    How did you do that? They're US$599.89 on the MF site.

6. Im loving my bass. I just changed the strings to GHS 105 guage and they sound great. I also like the neck...Its thick from frind to back and not too wide. Its just that I expected more in terms of fret work. The bass sounds almost as good as my '71 precision. Oh yeah, I asso painted the pickguard black. Great bass.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    FMIC's forgotten how to do fretwork. Of the production Fenders, the only ones with decent frets are the Japanese and Korean instruments. Fretwork takes time and FMIC begrudges every minute, whether it's in Corona or Ensenada. The new "American" Stratocaster I bought a while back only had the frets finished - poorly! - on one side of the fretboard. On the bottom side, they were just roughed out.

Because of this and the poor durability of their neck polyurethane that Fender refuses to warrant in the event of lifting and peeling, I've stopped buying FMIC-made Fenders. I was thinking of making an exception with the Dirnt, but I dunno. When they start showing up cheap on sale, maybe. I know the neck finish and fretwork will probably be crap, so I have to see enough of a discount to be able to overlook these sadly predictable flaws. :meh:

8. I'll try to describe the fret work on my Mike Dirnt bass. It seems like whoever was making the space for the frets to go into on the neck overdid it. On some parts of the neck,the frets dont make contact with all of the fretboard. Its kinda hard to explain, but it appears as maybe the frets arent pushed in all the way...even tho they are.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    So, on the fretboard there's a visible gap between the wood and the body of the fret?

Jeeze! If so, that's a major screwup. The frets are installed on a press and there's no excuse for this.

10. Yeah, you can see a small gap between the bottom of the fret and the fretboard.

11. Run, don't walk back to the store. You'll soon have frets lifting from the fingerboard.

12. Scratch and dent. Hopefully it's not too bad. 45 days is a gracious return policy, that's why I decided to do it.

13. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Pls post pics when it arrives...

:bassist:

14. My AIM screen name is greendayjustin. Send me a message if you want pics.

15. Justin. If you don't mind, shoot some pix to me please. I'm curious to see the bass and I want to see what your fret issues look like. Email them to shane under score waters at yahoo-d o t-c o m.

Thanks a bunch!

16. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I just got an american p-bass (not the H-W 1)for 600.00 brand new ! (it pays to have once worked at G.C.)it has a maple neck and the frett work is dead on,it did'nt need a frett level like all my other fenders always did,In my added exp.I have learned to know when a neck is well made,unlike I did in the earlier days :hyper:
    P.S i have a H-W-1 and I love it to no end,a few mods and its as good as any american standard.

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Where Fender cost-cutting shows up worst is not in the fret height (which shouldn't be that far off in a machine-performed task), but rather the detailing of the frets ends, which gets into the handwork+time+skill=money equation that seems to terrify FMIC and Gibson so badly.

Unless you have pretty low action, a little unevenness in fret height will never show up as a problem. In most cases, I'd rather have a minimal fret-height unevenness and retain the extrusion work-hardening on the crown of unfiled frets than lose it and the crown profile in a cheap factory remedial levelling job, which leaves you with flat, uncrowned frets and less (and softer) metal.

This is even more important with guitar.

18. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Fortunately I have been studying under a bass tech/luthier and most things I can do myself,so a high frett here or there is a bummer but not a problem.
    I empithize with newbie's or anyone not mechanically gifted because paying a tech is no cheap feat,When I worked at G.C. I would go through as many axes as possible to help my customer get the best axe for their money possible.
    I have been down the crappy Q.C. route before and thats why I learned to do this on my own. :bassist: