Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I GOT MY NEW AVATAR 4x10!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I_am_Rage, Jul 1, 2002.

1. It is a massive cab let me tell you that. I plugged everything in and i started playing......and as i am playing i am a noticing a hissing sound coming from the amp. I play some more and listen and i find that the tweeter has a hell of a lot of hissing coming from it. I don't think this is normal...i've never heard anything like that before. Do i have it set up wrong or did i get a bad tweeter?

I am having a lot of bad luck lately. :(

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    do you have acontrol for the tweeter on the back of the amp? If so, turn it down.

Do you boost the highs alot? If so, turn them down.

This is a normal problem with tweeters, and is usually just an issue of too much highs. Its probably not the tweeter, but bad shielding that is causing the hiss to become part of the signal, you just hear it onow becasue you have a tweeter that can put out sounds of that frequency.

Peace
    Nick

3. oh so that's what that knob in the back was there for. ;)

Thanks Nick

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Glad to help!

Peace
    Nick

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Tell us what you think (good or bad)!!!!

6. yeah my avatar 2x10 had the same hissing problem, all you can do is turn the tweeter down a bit and that solves it. Ive heard good things about those 4x10s so do tell how it is

7. I only got to fool around with it for 10 minutes or so and from what i heard, it doesn't sound bad...I need to play with the band to get the full feel. But from what i got from it, I don't think the GK400RB-III to the one 8ohm cab will be loud enough. So i might go out and replace it with a GK700 but i'll wait until band practice to fully decide.

8. After careful manipulation and consideration I have decided that I have no need for the tweeter in my Avatar 410. The deltas produce nice rounded highs all by themselves. So my tweeter is kept all the way off. It's a bass amp not a Hifi system.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Mine is set to only about 20% of the way up. Any higher than that it's too bright....

10. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    how are the lows with the avatar 4x10? what kind of bass are you guys playing through them?

11. Sterling. Hard to say for me b/c I've yet to play it without the 15 under it. With the 15 they are ridiculously fat.

12. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    From this I gather that the Avatar 15" is a very good and depp sounding cabinet - is this correct? I ask because I just ordered the 2x10 cabinet last week and I don't know if I'll get another 2x10 or a 15 yet.

13. If I were you I'd get the 15 instead of another 210. It's only a little bigger and it sounds nice and round. Plus it gives you more variety rather than just more of the same sound.

14. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I'd suggest the 1x15 as well. I've just put together my rig (finally) which includes an Avatar 2x10 on top or an Avatar 1x15 and it's nice. You get some of the warm round tone of the 15 and the cutting mids and highs of the 2x10. I'm running them biamped through a Peavey Max preamp and a Carvin FET 1000 power amp and I'm pleased so far though I've only had them for one rehearsal.

15. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    does anyone rock a 4x10 by it self? i am curious about how it would stand alone. i don t have the means to transport a full stack. so i gotta decide on a good, loud, versital cab. i play a jazz bass through a b2r. any suggestions?

16. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    D410XLT:D

17. If you can only have 1 cab for rock it should be a mesa powerhouse 1000.

18. What settings are you using for volume, boost, and master, Rage?

Adding even a little of the boost adds substantially to the power available. Try running it between 9 & 11 o'clock.

Ronzo

19. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Getting back to the Avatar speaker topic. I'm thinking of grabbing a 4x10 next month when I've got the pittance that Dave charges saved up. It's rated at 1200 watts and if I bridge my power amp I'll be running 1000 into it, which might make it the perfect smaller louder rig...we'll see...first I need to sell off some stuff...anyone want a more-or-less functional ADA MB-1?

Justyn

20. I put the master all the way up, volume at 12, and the boost was at 12. I think my Fender Bassman sounds louder then what i am getting from the head.

Also, where is there two inputs on the back of the cab??