Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got my new Meyer USM-1P powered monitor!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by prockenklang, Dec 2, 2004.

1. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I went to Meyer Sound yesterday and picked-up my USM-1P.I hooked it up last night with my Millennia TD-1 and it sounded amazing!! This morning I hooked it up to my big Meyer rig(Millennia STT-1,Meyer UPA-1P,and Meyer USW-1P) and was totally blown away. I bought the TD-1 and the USM-1P to use on smaller gigs where I really don't need a big set-up! I can't begin to say enough about how great this gear sounds.I have owned lots of different high-end systems,but none of them even come close to these Millennia/Meyer set-ups! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. The Meyer numbers get pretty confusing. The USM-1P is the stage wedgie. Is that the one you have, or did you mean the UMS-1P ultra-compact sub? Awesome!

3. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    That's an amazing set up, and I totally apreciate your quest for the best possible sound, however it's super heavy as well. How do you deal? I'm a new yorker, and weight=hassle, regardless of the sound. I am working on the "poor man's" version of the ultimate rig in both sound and portabilty with some custom designed cabinets, and mic preamps(of lesser quality than the milennia). I'll post my results once I have everything up an running...

4. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I got the USM-1P powered wedge monitor.I has a single 15 and a horn,700 watts and goes from 30hz to 20khz at 132db!!!

5. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I have Anvil cases with wheels for the UPA and the USW and I have a 10 ft.truck with loading ramps for moving my gear,so I can just roll them in and out with no problem.I also had covers made for them when I want to haul them in my Honda mini van! Both cabs and my main rack fit right in the back,but the sub is kinda hard to move by myself,so the big truck and cases are alot easier! I am ordering a case and a cover for the USM tomorrow,and I will be using it with the TD-1 for smaller gigs,so my mini van will work-out perfect!

After you hear Meyer cabs,the weight is really not an issue!

6. You also are, or at least were, a big GLockenklang fan. How would you rate the Mill-Meyer setup against the Glock Bugatti-Bass Art rig? (Apart from the fact that the Meyer probably will go louder...)

Vincent

7. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I have used the meyers wedge for upright in concert situations, and was very impressed with it's detail, warmth, and 3D like sound. You do get what you pay for. I am curious at to what else you use, i.e. bass, strings, cable, internal wires and pots, and the music you play. I tried the high audio thing in the 80's with eaw pa gear, ashley power, and a solid state mic pre that escapes memory. I had a very good arrange with a few stores that allowed me to return stuff within a week. The end result was good and surprising. Part of my rig had to live at a certain club as i got a renault, then moved to nyc...

8. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I still am a HUGE Glockenklang fan,to me they make the best amps and cabs designed for bass guitar! That being said,the Millennia pre-amps are very high-end studio products that are designed to be not only instrument pre-amps,but also mic pre-amps! They have tube or solid state inputs,tube or solid state eq's,and tube or solid state compressors, and you can use any combo of tube or solid state that you want!!

The Meyer cabs are the very best pro-audio cabinets that I know of on the market.They are powered,which matches the amp to the cabinet,does away with speaker cords, and lightens-up your rack!! Not that weight really matters to me,but the Bugatti's are about 70 lbs each and take up 3 rack spaces each.

As far as sound differences,the Glocks sound great,but the Meyer cabs have a depth that you just have to hear,they are very 3-D sounding. It is hard to explain,they are just amazing.I played a gig 2 weeks ago in a hall with 1500 people,and afterwards,I ask the soundman how my tone was out front.Usually in big halls,the bass turns to mud at the back of the room,but with my Meyer rig he said he could hear every note crystal clear! In fact,I ran into him the other day,and he said my bass sounded unlke any rig he had ever worked with,he said it sounded like a piano!

Both the Glockenklang/Bugatti rig and the Millennia /Meyer rigs are very loud,so volume is not the issue,I just personally think that the Meyer rig has taken my bass sound to a much higher level!

9. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    My main basses are (5)U.S.A. Curbows,all with Bartolini pick-ups(I leave the Bartolini electronics flat),four of them have rockwood necks,one has a wenge neck.I string them all with Dean Markly SR-2000 med light strings.I use Tara Labs cables,and I play all styles,but mainly rock. I also have (4)Foderas,a Bogart,and a Human Base,but I find myself just using the Curbows!

10. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I would love to hear you play some time. Have you considered removing the preamps from your basses, and running straight to the jack with high quality, foil shielded two conductor cable? It will kick your sound quality up another few notches. I tried this on a pedulla thunderbass some years ago. Unfortunately the vendor for the wire no longer exists, but the difference was dramatic...

11. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I had been thinking about having a bass built like that for a while! After reading your post,I called Greg Curbow and talked to him about wiring one of my Curbows to see what it would sound like.I am going to try it this weekend and I will let you know how it sounds!

John

12. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I'm very curious to hear what you think. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. After I tried it, I found out this was the way both Anthony and Paul Jackson went in their quest for sonic excellence...
    Where are you playing?

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Couple of things:

I wanted to follow up on the preamp-less special-wiring bass situation. Any news?

I also wanted to check and see if anyone has used the Meyer ultra compact UMS-1P & UPM-1P powered cabs for bass.
    If so, would one of each be enough for a medium sized venue with loud (but not painfully loud) bandmates?
    Do these need an extra unit to connect to a good preamp?

14. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.

I took out all of the electronics from an older Curbow American exotic Petite(flat top bass) including the volume pot and wired the pickups directly to the jack! I then plugged it into my Millennia TD-1 and Meyer USM-1P and it sounded great! I do have to say though,I tried one of my International Exotic Petites with electronics set flat,and it sounded way better!!! The older one does sound great totally passive,but I really prefer the active ones. I'm glad I did it because I had wondered for a long time what it would sound like,and I will most-likely just leave it passive