Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got my new Sadowsky Metro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fran Diaz, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Due to the bad weather here in northern Spain the delivery of my new Sadowsky was postponed... :crying: I wanted to test it in tonight's rehearsal.
    I went home for lunch and to pickup another bass and when I come back a big box was there waiting for me... now I have to carry 2 cases with me ... :mad: ooops wrong smilie :hyper: let's see how it goes with the Sad tonight :bassist:

I'll post a review tomorrow.

keep groooovin'
    Fran'

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    hehe frozen ilusions (its snowing here!!!). I ordered a cab and a power-amp this saturday, i hope those get here soon.

BTW im just posting to read the review. If posible also list wich head and cab did you use for the test drive.

3. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    The UPS station was in Trapaga, not far away from Bilbao. The highway to Santander was closed in the morning.
    I'll let you know which amps I use and the settings (usually flat most of the time).

keep groooovin'
    Fran

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Classy Metro Fran... Can't wait for your review!

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice, congrads. Sadowsky Rocks. :hyper: :bassist:

6. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    congrats mate! enjoy...

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Congratulations!
    the Metros i have seen have impeccable construction.

by the way, i want to move to Spain... can a guy make a living playing bass there?? ;)

8. Very nice and classy bass...
    Congrats....

Vince

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Cool purchase. I have a metro 4 and love it. Good luck

Rob

10. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    If it is not a secret, from which dealer did you buy ir from?
    The Sadowsky prices on EU dealers really make me sob :)

11. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Oh and congrats on the bass btw. That looks excatly like my dreambass
    atm :)

12. Have you noticed any dead spots? I'm curious how even the tone is on the Metro basses.

13. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Thanks for your words guys and sorry for the long review.
    Due to the snow storm two band mates couldn't make it to the rehearsal, only the acoustic guitar/singer and me.
    I took the bass off the nice Sadowsky softcase it came in and the first thing I noticed was that it was cold, very cold, after travelling for 5 days and staying for a long weekend inside the UPS track. In spite of this it was almost in tune and with nice action (I'll let it settle for a couple of days before I set it up to my liking, but it played very well as it was)
    A quick inspection revealed no issues: tight neck pocket, perfect fretwork and nut...but I haven't had enough time for a close inspection (due as soon as I get off from work in the afternoon).
    The tone...well... the tone...let's say....THE TONE :eek: I couldn't believe the tone coming out of this little Warwick combo with a 10 or a 12. Now I understand what everybody says about the Sadowsky tone. In spite of this being an ash/maple bass I found its tone to be very warm in the bottom and the brightness to be very musical (not brittle at all). I didn't miss a mid control (my main concern about buying a Sad) at all, there is no need for it. I boosted the lows maybe by 25% and was it fat boy!
    I'm not a fan of SS strings, especially for finger picking tones, but after cutting some treble on the amp (no passive treble cut on this bass) I got a sweet tone to go under the acoustic guitar. I can't wait to try some nickels on it but I'm going to wait till this set is dead, something I never do with SS, the Sad strings are this good for me.
    The neck shape is different from what I'm used to (Lakland 4-94 and MM StingRay) but after 2 hours playing the bass it felt as if I had been playing that neck for years. The sweat didn't make it sticky at all.
    ...whatelse can I say? ...Oh, the knobs...I love the knobs...I had always thought that they were made from plastic, and I hate plastic knobs, even if they are as nice as the ones on my Laklands, but these are metal knobs (aluminium maybe?).

I'll take a close look to the bass this afternoon and I'll do some recordings to listen to that magic Sadowsky tone. I'll post my impressions tomorrow.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

PS I could notice no dead spots . I checked for them in the tipical places (5-9 frets G string) and the tone rings loud and true in all of them.

14. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    very nice spot !! Congrats !!
    :bassist:

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea,

the first time i plugged in a sadowsky, my concerns were washed away as well.

as for the strings, go ahead and take 'em off, and save them for a later time, i.e. emergency backup, etc. for me, the sadowsky nickels are my number one string. warm, evenly balanced, and much nicer on the fingertips. the nickels mellowed that overly zingy tone for my ears.

16. Great Score!!! It took about 5 minutes to know I had found "My Bass" when I plugged in my Champagne Gold NYC Vintage 4 (in my Avatar), will never sell her and am working on specs for a 5 as we speak!!! Welcome to the club!!

Peace and Chicken Grease,

T

17. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Jokerjkny, I followed your advice, but I didn't have Sad Nickels and I put Lakland nickels. I like them on my Laklands but not much for the Sad, but I'm going to give them a few days because I don't like new strings until they have been on the bass for a few days.

I didn't have the time to record some tracks, but I inspected the bass and everything was perfect: the preamp wiring is the cleanest I've seen. Every single fret seats perfectly on the fingerboard. I like the non tapered strings posts and the bridge system.

One thing I didn't like is the strap holders: they are standard strap holders and I like to use dunlops. IIRC the NYC have the dual design.

I'm going to let the strings setle for a few days and I'll record some tracks then.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

18. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks for the review and congrats on your new Sadowsky!

19. Congrats to you. Enjoy!

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Shouldn't be too difficult to install Dunlop dual-designs, right? Those are my favorites too.

Regardless: congratulations! I've got MetroGAS myself... something about those black/maple 24-fretters really gets to me.