i got new strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Sep 15, 2001.

1. replaced on my stingray when i got it tuned up. I told the tech to replace them with the same that came on it originally (EB slinkys .100). Guy did a great job. The only thing this that my bass sounds extremely bright. I don't remember it playing this bright before. Tried adjusting the eq on both the bass and amp. I went as far as putting Lows on +10, and Mid's and High's on -10. And it is still very very bright. Playing with with fingers sounds a little better, but i can't even get a decent sound using a pic. I've heard of both the EB strings and basses being very bright, but this is ridiculous. Thinking about cleaning the old string and putting them on. Any suggestions about the strings, or is it something the tech did...?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just get a lot of playing time on them and don't wipe them down after playing. Decent, new, strings are always sparkling bright, especially roundwounds. The strings that originally came on your bass may have been previously played a bit if you bought it from a music store, so they may have been "pre-dulled" for you.

If nothing else, they were probably played a tiny bit at the factory and had some body oils working on them before you got it.

Balls aren't upper end strings and they should lose thier brilliance fairly soon.
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    What rickbass said.

Interesting that you bought the EB in the first place! The reason people buy them, as I've heard, is precisely that incredible brightness. The strings you got on the bass when you bought it MUST have been pretty gunky by the time you got to it, to have managed to conceal that brightness from you.

You may have to consider flatwounds... or trading in the Stingray on a used Gibson EB-0! :D :rolleyes: :p But if you're going to put the old strings back on, then don't bother cleaning them.
  4. ...thanks guys. That's what I was thinking to break in the strings. I like the brightness and clarity, but it seemed excessive. I'm sure they will loose some brightness. thanks again
  5. you'll come to like it. by the way, learn to change your strings yourself.
  6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I had a set of EB that I never used because I couldn't stand the tone - well my money is tight so I couldn't afford to go buy a DR 5 string set even though they were really really bad - so I woke up yesterday and thought "I've got brand new slinkys in the closet' So I found them and changed them - didn't like the tone, but loved the feel...compensated with some EQ - and as I played they got better...much better...by lunch they were sounding good and by bed time I had been transformed from Ernie Ball hater to Ernie Ball user...