Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I GOT OVERDRIVE FROM MY 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Aug 3, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    score one for the big dog.

no pedal, no squat.

people were telling me to crank the input volume wide open. when i did this, it got wayyyyyy too loud and too much bottom end.

so i set the rotarty controsl like so. mid 10, bass 4, treble 10
    set the eq like so. bass below center detent, put mids all the way down, and then treble up above center detent. for live i will put up the mids and bass a bit more but cant in the studio right now because its my singers house.

fudge. so good.

i tried an aby looper and i was able to use both inputs, thickeded it up.

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Awesome :) I love tube overdrive.

I usually boost and pull the mid pot on my V8 to get a nice attacking and gritty overdrive. Sounds sweet :p

3. Awesome :) I WANT tube overdrive :cool:

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ugh, i came back to the studio yesterday and started playing and it just wasnt what i want.

i think i may be looking to get rid of the head. :(

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I used my Bass 400 at practice last week, and I found that I could get some very nice overdriven tones. I had my graphic EQ off, and the rotary tone controls set very close to "flat" - .5 on bass, 10 on mids, 0 on treble. With both Gain (input 2) and Master on about 6-7, I seemed to get the maximum clean volume. I could induce overdrive by cranking either one above 8 (with the other on at least 6), and with both set at 8-9, I thought it sounded pretty darn good through my NV215 (playing my Tobias Basic 5). Actually, I was able to get more overdrive than I expected, and I liked it a lot.

Tom.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You NEED mids to get a good overdrive sound. That's where all the overdrive happens. Stop being like Fieldy and turn your midrange up a bit!

7. Now I don't know this for sure, but I'm fairly positive that Mr. Bowlus isn't trying to emulate Fieldy.

Mike

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    The Ox knows what time it is!

Most of your grit and grind will come from the mids so pump em a bit. My Sunn 1200S looks like a W at the moment witht he lowest bass slider all the way off as that gave me waaay too much boom. Great sound!

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    LOL!!! I don't think that The Ox was referring to me with that comment, but you are correct! I am not trying to emulate Fieldy - much... :D

10. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    It's easy with my D-180. Cascading gains :p

I just plug my bass into input 1, set gain 1 around 6 or so. Then set gain 2 around 4 or 5. Master controls the volume. I dig the D-180 preamp. Just doesn't have the power of the 400 or 400+.

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Oh jeez...here we go :D

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, you could always team up a D-180 a Strategy 400...

13. Damn...you're right. I saw your "flat" comment and assumed it was directed at you. At least one person laughed...the rest will now see my mistake and mock me. The only way to fix this is for you to modify your post like so:
    Mike

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Reginald FiElDy Bowlus. BWAAAHAAAAAAA!!!!! :hyper:

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Now you're just being KoRny! ;)

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    OH..and just as an offer of help Tom, I see you're running out of room in your music room. I have a 4 car garage I could store some of your cabs in (like the Bergantino NV215) :) :D :bag:

17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I too was able to get distortion out of my 400+, late last year, after owning it for several years.

All I did was plug it in and turn it on like always.

One day, there was distortion. Bad sounding distortion.

Then it blew up.

Now it sits on a bureau with a blanket over it and the cat sleeps on it.

18. expensive cat basket!

power valves?