Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i got question about fingering

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ryan999, Jan 14, 2001.

1. ryan999

ryan999

Jan 14, 2001
    well, i just got a bass like, 3 days ago, and i cant get like lessons at all, cus i have absolutly no money, and i have like a few books, and one says about left hnd fingering, how its best to keep ur thumb at the bottom of the neck ,and i have tried this, and i just do it, it doesnt work, my hand and fingers dont bend the right way to enable me to even fret it while my thumb is at the bottom of the bass, so is it the way i have my bass strapped, or do i just have unflexible fingers.

2. check out the technique forum this question comes up often

if you don't find what your looking for my questions would be: how low do you wear your bass, and what do you mean by placing your thumb at the bottom of the bass. usually i find the best place is about the center of the neck. when i play slap stuff i wrap my thumb around the neck for easier muteing.

have you been playing bass for three days?
    take it very slow and your finger will get up to speed before you know it.

play as slow as you have to to have the proper form and it will pay off in the long run.

3. ryan999

ryan999

Jan 14, 2001
    i guess ishould play the way i feel comfortable, and yeah, only 3 days, my amp should be coming tomorrow, nto hat i need it, unless i wanan show my whole house how much i suck. Im working on fingering and stuff, mainly learnign what each note looks like in relation to the position on the staff and fingering and whatnot. and as for wear my bass is, its like above my waist, but below my chest,not that low, but not that high and in a nice position for me, and also, im young too, likeo nly 14 years old and 5'5", and bass just really interested me, so i got a bass and am starting to practice.

4. ryan999

ryan999

Jan 14, 2001
    yeah, im taking it slow, making sure there is zero buzzing when i fret and pluck the strings crrectly until i know how to do it right, and then ill work on speed later...

5. good luck and remember it supposed to be fun.
    welcome to talkbass and have a good time searching, there is tons of info in here.
    you should also fill out your profiles so questions you ask will be easier to answer.

a lot of people will browse your profile before answering your questions

6. pardon me for being immature, but this thread title is almost as good as the "waxing your warwick" one.

7. ryan999

ryan999

Jan 14, 2001
    i have been prcticing since the day my bass came well over an horu everyday and im having a whole lot of fun doign it.
    i do have a question though, i know what all the things like pull-offs and hammer-ons are, but what is a vibrato? (i do remember that word from music class sometime ago, but i forgot what it means) i knwo im jumping ahead, but i still just want to know

8. i hear you man, i came here thinking i was going to get pointer on a diferent subject. same thing happened when i went to the thread called "getting the smell out"

9. E_Horizon

E_Horizon

Jan 8, 2001
    is a technique used, commonly, for long sustained notes
    it came from non fretted instruments, all the "grampas" ( violin, viola, cello, contrabass)

excecution of vibrato isn't similar between both kind of instruments ( fretted and non).. althrough you can apply non fretted technique on fretted bass

its simple ( i did some drawings, cos i'm bad explaining on english..:D)

http://www2.netexplora.com/pronto/vibratob.gif