I got ripped - don't take lessons from Domingo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ASR, Jul 11, 2001.

1. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I decided to start some lessons yesterday, and I could not believe that I actually had to give this guy my 15 bucks when I left. Well, needless to say I wasn't impressed at all, but when he asked me if I had heard of Marty Friedman, I said sure, why? "Well, I took Marty's place in his old band when he left to start Cacophony." This in itself sounded a bit absurd, but Marty is a guitarist, and this guy teaches bass? Then he told me he is only 19 years old. If I remember correctly, Marty started Cacophony in the late 80's, so this guy would have been about 8 years old. So I asked why he was teaching bass when he was such a "good" guitarist. He said (and very boastfully), "I can play and teach anything." So I asked him if he could teach me how to write a check for fifteen bucks because I had just forgotten, and I got up to walk out. Unfortunately, the owner of the store was a big guy that intimidated me into stopping before I got completely out the door. So I reluctantly gave him the check since the store owner had called the police. Anyway, if anyone else in the Houston area is looking to take lessons, watch out for a guy named Domingo.

And if you know a good teacher in Houston, let me know. I appreciate it.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    If you feel strongly contact the bank and stop the cheque. Contact the local papers. Tell local bands.
    Put a poster on the shop window with some seriously strong glue.

Or forgive and forget and put some more names on the "@$$holes I will avoid" list.

Anyone can get ripped off once you are right not to go back for more
  3. rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    If it's a business like a Sam Ash or something like that..or something even smaller file a complaint with the better business bureau. In the meantime get on the phone with the bank and stop payment on the check as the guy above suggested. And continue to spread the truth, especially amongst the musicians in your home town.
  4. You should have let the owner phone the cops. In fact, if I were you, I'd not only put a stop order on that check, but I would file a complaint with the cops, telling them that the owner harassed you into paying for something you didn't want. A letter to the editor of your local paper is also a good idea.

5. Well....I would refer you to my old teacher, but he passed away about 3 months ago :(
  6. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Amount of check: $15
    Stop payment fee: $20 (at most banks)

Just something to think about.

7. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    Hell, I would pay $5 gladly to keep slackasses like those from getting my $15 check.

You shoulda kept walkin. If the guy got physical with you over nonpayment of a nonservice, any competant attorney would be able to clean up for you.

You could even become the new owner of the store if he kicked your ass badly enough! Heh...

8. Awwww... Shucks Bubba. Ain't it a good thang that some of us got brains. :D No wonder I can't seem to get ahead.
  9. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Ummm...that doesn't really help. Maybe you could give me some lessons, jr! Heck, I'm only about 5 minutes from your house.

I called to see about stopping payment and it is a 20 dollar fee. So, he can have the money, but I am going to spread the word. As far as just letting the police come out there and all, I have been in enough really serious trouble in my life, and now I am trying to live an honest and clean life, so I didn't want to take the chance on things getting out of hand.
  10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Most banks will waive the stop check fee if you are persistent and simply refuse to pay it. The bank must stop the check for you if you ask. Many banks also will automatically waive the fee if the check was "lost" or "stolen." ;) (Isn't it nice to know someone that works for the bank!?)

Please do the things suggested. Please write your local newspaper, and please please please tell the cops about your experienced (being harrassed, etc). While it takes effort on your part, the rewards and good that will come of it are very critical. Con artists like this must be forced to pay the price for their deception.
  11. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Oh come on Xavier, i'm just trying to help the kid out. :) Besides, if you think I have brains, just talk to my wife, i'm sure she'll tell you otherwise :rolleyes:

12. I was actually poking fun at myself for not thinking of that.

13. Yeah right! I'm not very good at bass at all, much less know how to teach it!

Have you ever been to the Guitar Center in Clear Lake? There is a litte board by the exit that has some dude's card for bass lessons. It says hes been playing for like 30 years, and Its got a real nice spector on the card (at least thats what i think it is, its been a while).