1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I got some cash for Xmas - what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jusaplaya, Dec 14, 2004.

1. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I got about $500-600 bucks I can spend on some gear. I want a new bass with a p-j config, but I need a bigger amp also. can anyone recommend a really good bass in that price range. I am a newb, been playing about a year and want to take a step up. My current gear is:
    Fender p-bass, fender 15w amp and a cort cubow 4.

Merry Xmas

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would definitely get a new amp first. Your basses are fine for the amount of time you have been playing, and even more.

Get yourself a nice amp.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I also suggest you go get an amp. But first, move this thread to the amps section.

-Mike

4. I second Figjam's suggestion.

I would not buy another bass until I was 100% sure what I wanted. A new, more powerful amp, however, will allow you to jam with others at a decent volume. Which amp? There are many good ones out there, but for about $500, you can get a brand new Ampeg B100R.

100 watts into one 15 inch speaker. It has a 60s-type vibe to it, and is a great amp if you want to stick with a combo set up.

Others will add their thoughts.

Don't rush and blow your money on a whim.

Good luck.

Mike ;)

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used a B100r for 1.5 years. Great amp. (its for sale now, although not in great condition, so id let it go for as low as $250+ shipping...let me know if your interested, PM me or w/e)

6. Alexander

Alexander Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I agree - I would get an amp first - you should be able to get something decent with that kind of cash.