I got some cash for Xmas - what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jusaplaya, Dec 14, 2004.

1. jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I got about $500-600 bucks I can spend on some gear. I want a new bass with a p-j config, but I need a bigger amp also. can anyone recommend a really good bass in that price range. I am a newb, been playing about a year and want to take a step up. My current gear is:
    Fender p-bass, fender 15w amp and a cort cubow 4.

Merry Xmas
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would definitely get a new amp first. Your basses are fine for the amount of time you have been playing, and even more.

Get yourself a nice amp.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I also suggest you go get an amp. But first, move this thread to the amps section.

4. I second Figjam's suggestion.

I would not buy another bass until I was 100% sure what I wanted. A new, more powerful amp, however, will allow you to jam with others at a decent volume. Which amp? There are many good ones out there, but for about $500, you can get a brand new Ampeg B100R.

100 watts into one 15 inch speaker. It has a 60s-type vibe to it, and is a great amp if you want to stick with a combo set up.

Others will add their thoughts.

Don't rush and blow your money on a whim.

Good luck.

Mike ;)
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used a B100r for 1.5 years. Great amp. (its for sale now, although not in great condition, so id let it go for as low as $250+ shipping...let me know if your interested, PM me or w/e)
  6. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I agree - I would get an amp first - you should be able to get something decent with that kind of cash.