Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i got some questions about setup and some luthier stuff

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jonki, May 2, 2004.

1. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    My fretless warmoth p-bass is coming in about 1-2 weeks now. And i need some tips and answers

1. when the bass comes, the neck is undrilled at the heel. the neck is goncalo alves, should i drill with high or slow speed? or can i just use a bodkin and screw directly into the neck?

2.The body comes with 2 pot holes, but i need 3 holes because i shall use an active/passive switch. The body is made of mahogany and it has a transparent red finish (if that helps). should i drill with slow, avarage or fast speed to avoid wood chipping?

3. The nut is blank, but i have some tools to file it down, should I file it like a standard nut?

4. The bass is lined fretless, do you lad/lass' have some good tips how to inotiate the bridge?

5. I shall shield(with copper foild) the bass too, should i ground the shielding?

6. And finally, i need some good tips to maintenance a bass, somebody who has? :)

on forehand thanks

regards
    Jonki

2. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    anybody? :help:

(bump) :ninja:

3. You should definitely drill a pilot hole first. I like to make one that is one size smaller[/] than usual to make a tight first threading. It sometimes can play havoc on the screw head so have a couple of spares handy. The best method of mounting is to use threaded steel inserts installed in the neck and mount the neck with machine bolts. I do it will ALL my necks now and it has proven it's value over and over. Slower speed because the bit is small and the wood hard. Clear the bit of debris frequently. Be patient.

It's not the wood chipping I would worry about - it's the finish chipping or cracking. I would put tape over the face of the bass at the point you want to make the hole. Then use a forstner bit to drill the hole. This bit has a cutting barb on the edges and scores the surface before it penetrates it. This will save the it from chipping or, at worst, keep a chip in place to be glued with some super glue. Always drill from the pretty side to avoid blow-out accidents. High speed is fine.

What's an "unstandard" nut?.

Use a capo instead of your finger. More precise. But don't worry too much about it. Close enough on fretless's is fine..

That's the only way it will work..

Just do a search and you'll find tips all over the place. Drop in on the Luthier forum for more. These are discussed here often..

4. Cleaning Your Bass Guitar Part by Part

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    thanks for the answers! :)

regards Jonki

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    wrt #3, for fretless you can file the nut slots down to nearly the top of the fretboard.

also, i noticed the treble (g string) edge of my warmoth neck was rather sharp (i've since heard this is not uncommon). i used some very fine (400 or 600?) sandpaper to round it off a bit, huge improvement in playability.