I got the 8 ohms blues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Man, there is nothing in the 500-700 dollar price range that can give serious power to an 8 ohm cab. Most heads, ampeg svt 3 pro, GK, yorkville only deliver 200-300 watts into an 8 ohm cab. I read it is recommended to have around 400 watts for a loud band.

p.s. Im looking to get into a loud ultra heavy band.

this sucks :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
  2. dude gk

i belive the gallien-krueger 700rb-II which is 550 somethin watts is in that price range, atleast a www.riksmusic.com
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Pick up a good preamp (BBE, Ampeg) for about $250-300, and get yourself a nice used QSC(RMX) or Crown(XLS) poweramp $300-350....you're set. Plenty o'power when you bridge to 8ohms.

4. actually at riks i think the gk 1001rb-II which is LOUD is 600 bucks
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well cheer up. 1st, the volume difference between 200 watts into 8 ohms and 400 watts into 8 ohms isnt huge. what will eventually make or break you is the ability to geta 2nd 8 ohm cabinet to use all of your head's potential. i would strongly reccomend looking at a lot of used heads and still trying to get one that will put 200+ into 8 ohms. try the tb classifieds, post a want to buy ad in the tb classifieds (all members can do that), look on www.bassgear.com, and even on e-bay. coem on here and ask us with any ? on particular amps you run accross.

oh, what 8 ohm cabinet do you have now? or what are you planning on using? and.......what kind of amp setup are you using now?
  6. 69Jazz

69Jazz Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Athens, AL
    Yorkville XS800H. 600 watts @ 8 ohms. Paid $650 for mine.
  7. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I am using the Bag End Q10X - D. It is a 4 x 10 speaker cab that can handle 800 watts at 8 ohms.

I tried a Yorksville xs400h, its rated at 250 watts at 8 ohms. It seemed to have a good sound. If I run it at a reccomended "half" volume, ie 5 on the volume knob, that will be around 125 watts pushing the cab.
  8. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    $ 650 new for the the yorkville xs800h?
  9. 69Jazz

69Jazz Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Athens, AL
    Plus tax, of course.
  10. 69Jazz

69Jazz Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Athens, AL
    That was at a local shop. I actually found it for around $580 online. I would much rather deal with the locals, though.
  11. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004

Hmmm I think you may have solved my problem.... You like it of course? I thought the xs400h was a screamin deal for a 480 dollar head.
  12. 69Jazz

69Jazz Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Athens, AL
    I like mine very much. Do a search on here. Several people have posted some very nice reviews. Sounds great, cheap, and it is light. Not much more you could want.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There's always Behringer ...
  14. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I think you need to break out of the old "I need an expensive head" idea. A friend of mine recently started a death metal band with 2 Mesa Halfstack guitars, and his bass player needed something loud enough to be involved in the mix enough, but not drop a ton of cash... he asked me for my input. I HAD to recommend a preamp-poweramp setup, just because of the price-to-power ratio.

Ampeg SVP-CL: $350 used
    QSC RMX850: $300 new

He's running at 600Watts bridged and he's getting my just fine. His next plan is to add an Avatar B115, and run at 830Watts (with a big boost in the low end). :bassist: That's like... more than you'll likely ever need.

If you get a different preamp (Sansamp) used, you can run the preamp cost down to $200 or $300. If you get a used Power amp, you can get down to $150 or $250. And Avatar cabs are already sold at a price that you would think is a used price, but that is the brand-new price.

Look around. Dont just think you need a 3Pro or 4Pro with a fridge cab because you see every major label band play with that type of rig.
  15. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    And... yes... you can always get a behringer rig for about $10 :p
  16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    A Carvin B1500 will give you 700 W into an 8 ohm load. Add another 8 ohm cab later and you get 1250 W. I have one of these, and it's a very good amp. Simple to use, very good sounding, and plenty of power. It's not a lightweight, but it will be a bit lighter than probably most preamp-rack-case combos (unless mayge the amp is a Stewart or a QSC PLX). $699.99 new plus shipping.
  17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You could try to find a used tube power amp, which can put out full power into an 8 ohm load...