Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got the BA-115, but I've got some questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cornbread, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Thanks to those who responded earlier about the Ampeg combos. I tried both the BA-115 and the B-100R, and I liked the 115 much better. My testing wasn't very fair (I had flat settings on both amps. If I twiddled with the 100's eq, I probably would've gotten a better sound) but I also didn't want to pay the extra for the B-100R. Anyway, I bought the BA-115 today for $360 on sale. Daddy's didn't have any boxed 115's, so I got a floor model without any price break. oh well.

So, I tried it at home and was surprised when I cranked up the pregain and master volume but didn't hear any clipping. It also wasn't very loud with flat eq. So, I took it back thinking there was something wrong with it. Apparently there wasn't. It is very loud when I boost the bass, but I wanted to know what other people have experienced. Does the amp EVER clip? How should I set the Pre-Gain and Master volume?

Thanks

Dave

2. I know what you mean by saying you had to increase the bass a bit to get it sounding decent. When I first got the amp I was noodling around on it with the EQ flat for a while. It sounded better than my crate..but I was still unimpressed... then I tweaked the bass knob... wow!! I must've spent two hours just playing really slow and low, which is usually not my style at all..it just sounded so good.

I can get loud volumes without any clipping if I want, but the way I have it EQ'd I get a really nice sounding warm fuzz. Even though I practice pretty quietly..often unamped, everything sounds much better at higher volumes with my EQ, especially slapping. One of my guitarist friends used it at a gig for a sideband of his (I was working..so he just used my bass and amp).. and he was actually surprised that the amp is all solid state when he heard the cranked tone I have. I've have zero experience with actual tube bass amps..so I couldn't tell ya.

My ampeg isn't here right now (I just moved into my dorm room..I'm a freshman at UW-madisonand there wasn't room in the van for the BA-115. There would've been..but my older sister was moving stuff too. It should fit fine in the room.), but I typically use style setting 2 (slight mid cut) and turn the highs and mids pretty high, with the bass slightly lower, but not much. With this EQ I can get usable sounds out of style settings 1-4.

With the master volume low I can't get it to clip no matter how high I crank the gain. You'll just have to dink with the knobs til you find what you like I guess.

Hope this helps.

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Thanks. So, is there any risk of damaging the speaker with the volumes cranked? If it doesn't clip or distort, it's safe, right?

Dave

4. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Steamboat- How much hissing have you experienced with your BA-115? Mine hisses quite a bit even with flat eq. I'll spare you the details of my experience getting the amp and returning to the store twice with the amp. I hope this is worth the inconvience. Also, what do I need to use the unbalanced XLR output? What kind of DI would that be?

Dave

5. Mine hisses quite a bit, but it no longer bothers me. I would assume that with no clipping your speaker should be fine.

I've never used the XLR..so I couldn't tell you.

6. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Mine hisses very little...only once when recording did it hiss enough to be a problem, but I just took the grill off, unhooked the horn, and it was fine...put it back when finished...

I use the XLR out to run into the house PA when playing live, or straight into the mixing board when recording...three tracks of bass when recording with my pop band: one DI straight from the bass (mostly through a sans amp), one mic on the speaker, and the XLR into the board...since we have 64 tracks to play with, three tracks of the same bass line is fine...

FWIW, I, too, use the #2 "preset" and keep the eq mostly flat, with an occasional mid or bass slight boost depending on the room...(Mostly playing a MIA Fender Jazz through it...)

These are great amps...I've been through many brands and combinations and feel like I finally have the "keeper"...

-GM

7. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma

Have you tried the amp with another bass? It seems to me that when I tried the amp with a MIA jazz bass at the store, there was much less hissing, but I could be wrong. I tried both of the same amp that the store had in stock, and they both have that white noise hiss. I called Ampeg (and they are very friendly and helpful) and they said all amps hiss and there's nothing wrong with it. He also said that for the cleanest sound, set the master volume all the way up and adjust the gain appropriately. I don't really notice a difference though.

Thanks

Dave

8. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Actually, I am using a MIA Jazz pretty much all the time...this one particular time that it was really hissy what when I was recording a lot of harmonics and had the treble cranked everywhere...hiss was unavoidable...never been an issue at any other time...

-GM