1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I got the name but...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LeoSash, Aug 17, 2012.

1. LeoSash

LeoSash

Feb 13, 2012
    Well you see, i've been in this Jazz band for a couple of months now, we do Classic jazz tunes (plus more modern tunes) with our own twist (sometimes doing hip hop and other stuff).

However, we've been running with this name called New Jazz Flow (based on kayne wests song New God Flow, which we covered) for a while and we generally like the name, but i'm unsure whether that's like taking from the artist or stealing or whatever.

Does that sound like a copyright thing?

2. Mackluth

Mackluth

Jun 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Plenty of bands have used actual song lyrics as their band names. I can't remember any off the top of my head, but I remember reading about a few. I don't think there's a problem. Regardless, you've changed it enough with substituting in jazz that there wouldn't be any issues. That's how I see it at least. That sounds like a cool project by the way. Do you guys have a facebook page or anything?

3. LeoSash

LeoSash

Feb 13, 2012
    Well, i was worried about the whole name thing, so we never made anything. We have a few videos on my keyboardists channel, but only 2 i really like.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jayplus1

I'll probably make the facebook page at least so if we do change it(probably not) then i can always make a new one or change the name.

4. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    One example of a band using a lyric is The Jam, who are named after the song Kick out the Jams by the MC5.

Personally, I see nothing wrong about using a name based off of another person's song.

5. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Even if you named your band "New God Flow" I still do not see the problem. There's a local band here called "A Boy Named Sue". Johnny Cash' heirs haven't filed any complaints yet. Now if you'd called yourselves "Kanye West's New Jazz Flow" that might have been a different story altogether :)

6. The Rolling Stones got their name from Muddy Waters's "Rollin' Stone Blues", +1 million other examples.

7. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    "Brothers and sisters! Are you ready to testify?"

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    No. It sounds like "a trademark thing." And you should have no problem with any possible infringement claim, since the name of a band doesn't directly infringe upon the name of a piece of music.

Copyrights govern rights to creative output - such as songs, lyrics, novels, poems, films, scripts, computer/video games, etc.

Trademarks govern rights to the names of organizations, i.e., enterprises, companies, firms, partnerships, bands, etc., as well as specific products and/or services generated by those organizations, i.e. brands, etc.

MM

9. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Nope, your fine... and seriously you're worried about stealing from Kanye West? Read his liner notes, that guy steals every single one of his beat hooks from classic R&B, soul, and blues music... he lost me after late registration anyways... damn the record killed though.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Good band name!

Good luck with your project.:bassist: