Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got this e-mail from a studio...(Confused)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by joeyang761020, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Hi, Tbers,

This time I seriously need some help. Yesterday, my band get a e-mail from this studio engineer saying that they heard our stuff on myspace.com and they thought it's some decent work. Then he goes on talking about he think the quility of our recording midiocre, which I agree, the quility is totally sh*t...even I don't enjoy listening to it. Then he started explain why he contact us, he started listing all the services his studio offered. And near the end of the email he ask if we have any new recording. Here's the problem, I don't really know what his intention is, is he just trying to promote their studio. Or are they really interested in us. So I need some help interpret this e-mail, any suggestion would be appreciated.

Here is the email-
    ---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
    Subject: Recording
    Date: Mon, April 4, 2005 5:23 pm
    To: shadowofyesterday@music-hq.net
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, this is Dave, I'm an engineer/producer at Mastermind Studio and
    also the Manager of Tin House Records. I took a listen to a couple of
    tunes off of myspace. Very good stuff guys (and girl). Good rock/punk/emo
    all mixed into one. The quality was okay, I personally feel that it does
    not accurately reflect the band to where you should be. Let me tell you
    why I'm contacting you. In addition to producing great sounding demo's and
    recordings, we are also handle artist management and a variety of
    musician-related services such as graphic and web design, CD duplication
    and a whole lot more. If you want I can send you a sampler of our studio.
    Email me your address and phone number and I'll ship one out tomorrow. I'm
    researching new bands for our label and would like to know more about you
    guys and your music. Do you have any recent recordings that I might be
    able to listen to? Let me know what you guys are up to and maybe we can
    help you out. Thanks for your time

Dave Wilson
    Engineer/Producer
    www.mastermindstudio.ca
    www.blrentertainment.com

2. xonebass

xonebass

Feb 17, 2005
    Orange, CA
    I agree the e-mail is pretty vague. I would guess he's advertising the studio but it's really not clear. Simple solution - ask him for clarification.

I would ask exactly what the studio is interested in. Are they advertising for you to come in and record? Are they looking for bands to manage/sign? Those are the questions I would ask. There's no shame in asking for clarification especially since the intent of the e-mail is murkey. Personally I wouldn't get your hopes up - if I had to put money on it I would say it's an advertisment with a teaser to try to get you to come in.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You may want to request further information to contact him - phone numbers etc. Who knows, for all this could be a new scam or something.

Ray

4. He did gave us his phone-number. We proberbly going to call him tommorow. I will keep you guys updated.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    He is offering you the services he listed in the email. In return for said services you will have to pay him. He's not lying or scamming or anything, just advertising a little. I've gotten emails like that before.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    everytime I place a 'musician wanted' ad I get stuff like that.

7. Yes, it's kinda vague. Maybe he sends that email out to a bunch of bands off of Myspace?

8. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    I want to chime in here. I completely agree with xonebass (i.e., there’s a simple solution). In fact, it’s so simple, that it concerns me joeyang761020 felt the need to post. My concern stems from my belief that most musicians/artists want to believe so badly that something might be happening for them that it clouds what would otherwise be their common sense responses. This desire to believe (and the suspension of critical analysis) is what I see that causes many people to spin their wheels, sign something they shouldn’t, etc.

To be clear, my post is not aimed at joeyang761020. My post is intended to try and remind the members of this community of one simple thing: people with nothing to hide, hide nothing. And while that saying may not work every time, it’s saved me so much grief that I’ll take the trade off any day of the week (i.e., it’s possible I pushed a little too hard and scared someone legitimate off, but I doubt it).

Best,
    MA

9. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sounds about right. We've gotten tons of scam mails from people that get our contact through myspace. Usually if they want you to pay anything without you asking first = scam.

Also, you guys are still in high school and haven't toured the US yet. Labels are looking for full time, tour experienced bands. So finish up high school, and spend lots of time / money on recordings, equipment, and touring.

And what's Salsa Cycles?

10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    "Let me know what you guys are up to and maybe we can
    help you out."

By the way, there's no "help" invonved in paying for a service. ;) I know it's a comercial strategy but I hate someone to pretend he's "helping" me when in fact he's selling me something. If you don't need any of his services, just ignore him, he doesn't sound as an artist-hunter for a record label.

ANDRUCA

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

I disagree. A better quality recording is never a detriment to getting better gigs. A management company worth a damn is never a detriment, either.

But, if they ask for money UP FRONT, run like the wind.

It never hurts to listen, but it DOES hurt to sign anything or give any money without having someone knowledgable (ie a Music Attorney) look at anything before it is signed.

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    What is with this charge of vagueness, and implications of 'scam' or whatever?!

This is disturbing to me. What is it that's shady about what he's saying?

Can't a small buisness look for clients, and 'pound the pavement' looking for buisness?

Like Bassmonkey said - studios selling time, agents and managers, as well as 'elders' in the buisness, like many of us, should and DO often advise less experienced bands to invest in a good demo and/or an agency and/or management.

Man - this Dave Wilson should be invited to the thread to stand up for himself, now that question has been thrown on his character and motives. -sheesh!

Gee - maybe he's even introducing himself with his own real name. That's refreshing around HERE. The 'shadiest' thing I see around here is so many wanting to keep their identity secret. Why is that? -

Joe Polizzi - West Bend, Wisconsin USA

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    this is when you call him and say, hey my name is so and so from so and so, i got your e-mail and i was just wondering what you are willing to offer us as a band and how far your services go.

its always good to ask questions.

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Right! Maybe this guy's a real go-getter. He's offering his services that relate to promotion and advertising - do we expect that he wouldn't promote himself??

I wrote Mr. Wilson, and linked him to this thread. I suggested that he join our conversation, now that his integrity has been questioned.

Joe

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    what i have learned from being in bands is nothing comes for free. one hand always washes the other.

so this dude does something for you, like gets your band in the studio and records your stuff and does promotion for you. so he is getting your name out there, and you in turn are doing the same. i dont see any harm in that.

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Right!

Let's get a grip, people. I hope if I were contact a tavern and say (adapted from Mr. Wilson's letter):
    "Greetings Club Owner.

I'm Joe, I'm the Bass Player for the Mole Patrol band, and I also do promotion and booking for them. I've been at your establishment a couple times. Very nice. Good food/drink/company all mixed into one. The experience was good, but I personally feel that it does not accurately reflect the potential of where you could be as a 'nightspot'.

Let me tell you why I'm contacting you. In addition to producing great sounding demo's and recordings, we also can provide Taverns like yours with live musical performances. If you want I can send you a sampler of our performance.

Email me your address and phone number and I'll ship one out tomorrow. I'm researching new clubs for our itinerary and would like to know more about you guys and your business. Have you tried offering your patrons live musical performances? Let me know what you are up to and maybe we can help you out. Thanks for your time.",

I should be considered a go-getter out promoting the band - not a shady character with questionable motives.

Joe

17. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i need to get a grip?

ok

:scowl:

first off, i didnt say that this guy wasnt shady. all i said to the kid was to call him and ask him questions. if i got an e-mail like that, i wouldnt even think twice about putting it in the delete box. only because he does not offer my band anything that we cannot do on our own. thats just me. thats why if this dude is wondering about "said sketchy dude" why not call him and get some information. the worse that happens is he says you have to pay him, and then you say good day and be done with it.

18. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Why would you think I meant YOU, Dude??

No - I was agreeing with you, Man! ..that it woudn't hurt to give him a call, and see what he's offering.

Joe

19. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    hahah sorry, i get a little uppity sometimes on the messageboards hahahaha

20. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    We are a passionate bunch, aren't we?

Joe