1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I got this sunburst Road Worn Jazz and...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tdizzle, Jan 1, 2012.

1. tdizzle

tdizzle

Aug 3, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    I was pleasantly surprised to see there was no identification route in the body. Joy!

DSCN3590.

It does have a "ROAD W" stamp, but it is barely visible. Try to locate it between the neck pickup and the neck heel on the E string side.

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    nice so you basically have a fretted jaco bass too :)

3. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    its really nice to see this in jazz basses... i cant stand the way that USA Fender have the awful routing... makes them feel really cheap to me..

4. dmk

dmk

Jan 8, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    What year is your Roadworn?

5. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    That's the feature of Fender instruments that helped them take over the market. It's the cheaper manufacturing process. Bolt on neck, parallel headstock, 3 piece slab bodies, frontal routs, decaled logo, electronic screwed onto a plastic pickguard, thick automotive paint, bent plate bridge.

They were far ahead of the competitors still making set necks and multi layered bodies. Everything on Fender instruments were cheaper than their competitors when they came into the market. But they worked just as good, if not better. Like 80s Japanese cars. Leo was a first class manufacturing engineer.

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    The first part of your post makes a very important point.

There wasn't much competition at the beginning, though.

7. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    As I recall, Gibson's EB-1 (the original - solid - violin shape) came out several years later; not sure they sold many. The EB-0 may have been next - it sold fairly well but sure sucked. Of course the Amp-ed Peg was there too - but it wasn't really the same instrument.

Amplifiers were the real problem .. actually it was the speakers. Leo's first "success" was the 4x10 Bassman - originals bring thousands as the best guitar amp made. They do sing; at one time I had a Blues Pearl (Bob Hudson) Reproduction - shoulda kept it.

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    :hyper:i like it naked!!!