Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got to look at a Fender FTM IV.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, May 31, 2002.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I was on 48th street & I was in all the stores. While I was at Manny's I saw a Fender FTM 4 string. I went to pic it up & I was disgusted!!!!! After a long wait to finally play one, the strings were dead, a 3 year old must of tuned it & the bow in the neck was horrible. Visually, it looked AWESOME but I really didn't take a close look because is played like junk & I didn't even plug it in. :(

To the guys here that have one, I beleive that it is an AWEOSME playing & sounding bass but I just felt like venting!!!!!

2. I can't tell you how many beautiful instruments I've picked up in various stores and wondered if they were actually fake.

I think it's a crime that so many shops don't bother to properly setup instruments. I understand why many don't but to me it's just such a sad thing to experience.

Edited: Spelling.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The thing is I went across the street to Rudy's & tried a few basses & everything played great except for one used bass that the saleman said just came in.

I don't wanna even start on how bad the basses were in Sam Ash. :rolleyes:

4. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    So true Nino..........most shops simply hang the bass on the wall......

It's actually quite sad............

PJR

5. Yep. Some just take instruments out of the box and put them on the shelf. They simply don't care.

Others don't setup instruments since the buyer will likely want a specific setup when they purchase the instrument.

I don't like the former but can understand the latter.

However it would be nice if shops would just do a simple setup and tuning before putting things on the peg.

6. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Nino I played that Fender and Manny's last week and I Felt the same I am total disgusted with NY shops when it comes with Bass's it like it is a after thought With the expection of Rudys . Nino how is the Stingray5 doing ?

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm not surprised, Nino. A well adjusted FMT can sell it self. OTOH one that sucks might keep a bassist from ever looking at another one. Five minutes spent on setting up that bass could make all the difference in the world... and make a sale. How stupid is that?

I remember talking to a music store employee who also noticed the deplorable setups in his store and he told me he wasn't allowed to adjust anything... company policy.

Idiots.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Dosen't Sam Ash own most of the shops on 48th street these days?

9. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    I've never heard of this bass. Can you post a pic?
    what does the FMT mean?

10. This sux to hear about how bad 48th Street is! I'm going up to NY in a month only for 48th Street (I'm in St. Louis and I, as an individual of my family, am going for the "Light My Eyes Up Street"). I'm bummed now...(depressed sigh).

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Figured Maple top. Here's mine:D

[​IMG]