Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got to try a Pollman!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ArenW, Mar 15, 2005.

1. ArenW

ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am giddy..
    My teacher let me check out a bass he is trying out at my last lesson- a Pollman 5 string- I think he said it was from the 1870's? Unbelievable, deep, rich sound with tons of volume!!!
    The binding and purfling was something to behold.

Just couldnt keep it to myself.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  3. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Pollmann basses are now in the fourth generation of family builders, and began in 1888. I've never played one from the first generation.

I have a bass from the current generation. Michael Krahmer built mine. He and his brother work out of seperate shops creating today's Pollmann basses. They emulate the work of the second generation Pollmann basses. The third generation of Pollmann's were made by many different luthiers, and at that time they turned out hundreds of basses a year, some good, some only good-looking.

4. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Ken, I thought I was going to beat you to it. I should have known.

5. ArenW

ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I was a little foggy on the year the bass was made. Probably from the euphoria of holding something other than my Kay.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I just read that Turetsky plays the Pollmann Maggini model... Huh. Bert Rules..

7. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

I found one cheap a while ago (from the 60's). After a LOT of work it' in good shape - Many top and rib cracks repaired, new bridge and finger board redone. For the first two months I felt like superman. Even musicians that did'nt realize I changed my axe told me my sound was better.
    But now I have to practice real real hard to get just a little less bad.
    I bet a real old 7/8 is a gas