Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I gots a problema

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkyTragic, Jun 18, 2005.

1. FunkyTragic

FunkyTragic

Jun 18, 2005
    England
    HELP ME!!!!
    I recently formed a band, and although we haven't got a drummer yet,I need a new amp.I've got a 25W stagg one that i started with, but i don't think this is even enough for playing alongside drums,let alone small venues.However I'm broke, but i have got my eye on 2 possibles. The Behringer BX1200, a 120W bargain at only £150ish from www.gak.co.uk , which seems to be good, but on one particular site it gets a string of bad reviews and about 2 good reviews.The alternative is the fender rumble 100, 100W and for about £100 more than the behringer, but gets all round good reviews.This is important to me as when we find a drummer we can work with i intend to start gigging as soon as possible.plus i intend to get the ibanez edb600 as soon as i can get a job over summer.Anyone know of a decent amp to start gigging with????

:help:
    Thanks

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The fender is definently the better amp. Wether it will do gigs or not depends on music style and the size of the gigs..

3. FunkyTragic

FunkyTragic

Jun 18, 2005
    England
    Yeah, but as always the big problem is money.I still have academic commitment which limit my being able to get a job during term time, and even without a job i have trouble trying to balance the band and other stuff.Anyhow, thanks for th'advice.
    Respect to you.

4. Buy a used Peavey Combo (preferably Black Widow equipped). ;)

It is virtually part of the bassist's "rites of passage" IMHO and it will do the job for years if you want it to. Also, you'll never need to go the the gym again. :D :D

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1
    I've played thru a Bassman 100 and it's a great starter amp for giggin'. I currently have a Fender BXR300C combo as a rehearsal amp and I can vouch for the quality and reliability of Fender amplification.

6. FunkyTragic

FunkyTragic

Jun 18, 2005
    England
    Around how much is the used Peavey combo, and what is black widow?plus how much will it change the sound of the effects from the Korg AX10B i use?sorry if i'm a tad inexperienced.

7. You should be able to pick up a used Peavey 1 x 15, 200 or 300 watt Combo for between £150 and £200. Give eBay a whirl! :meh:

The Black Widow is a speaker model fitted to some (not all) of the Peavey Combos and they are by far the best they use IMHO. I used one for donkey's years and actually played the Cardiff International Arena with one, admittedly with substantial PA support!! :eek: :eek:

I have no idea how your Korg will be with it as I have no experience of this unit BUT I always found the Peavey to be a relatively "transparent" amp, so it should not be an issue. ;) ;)