Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i gots a question brothers...deep question??G&L owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kindablue, Sep 11, 2004.

1. kindablue

kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    Ok i'm not gonna get into too much drama but i do need advice.Ok I'm gonna move down to florida(met a chick...bla bla bla...let's not go there,lol)now here is the situation:i've been surviving an a G&L SB-1 for about a year(i'm mostly a guitar player that is gradually crossing over to bass)but i recently found a G&L L-2000 for a real good price which i bought.....now i have to decide,based on financial problems which one to sell.one has to go,the L-2000 will fetch more $
    but will regret this decsion(which i have someone with cash in hand coming over tomorrow to buy the L-2000 for about 75%more than i paid for it...and living with the sb-1?could you live with an sb-1?i've gotten more than used to the L-2000
    looks i have to go back to the sb-1....lol well i guess better than going back to a peavy...right? :crying: :help:

2. Q #1 - The best choice of the two to keep.

1) The L2000 has more tonal variations than the SB-1 has.
    2) The L2000 that you have is worth more now and is sure to increase in the future (think late '70's jazz bass). The L2000e has increased significantly in the last 3-4 years.
    3) The L2000 is a Leo Fender era bass.
    4) You are not selling the L2000 to me.

Q #2- Could I live with an SB-1 ?

Yes I could, if forced to....

The up side is that you have not "lived" with the L2000 too long. The SB-1 is an excellent P-bass, better than the Fender P-bass IMO (before I get flamed remember Leo Fender made them both and I am not comparing them to early vintage P's).

It all depends on what you are looking for sound wise and money wise, short or long term.

Good Luck !

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    (before I get flamed remember Leo Fender made them both and I am not comparing them to early vintage P's).
    [/QUOTE]

Leo had to make something better than the P bass :X.

Keep the L-2K, that's my vote.

Ray

4. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Keep the l2k, you'll regret it as soon as it's gone just as you're starting to now.

5. kindablue

kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    In all honesty the sb sounds smoother and more suited to more traditional music (which i perfer...like blues,old school country/rock etc)than the L-2000 which seems like a very good instrumnet for the all around stylist.i'm basically a guitar player who has fallen in love with the bass

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You've got to do what is right for you. The L-2000 is an amazing all around bass, but if you don't need it and can make a nice profit on it, then by all means, do so. Either of these basses are replaceable. So, if you change your mind later, you can get another one.

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    The nice thing about recent G&Ls is that they are pretty consistent. You don't hear of people trying 10 L2000s to find THE one. If the deal is good, sell it, you can always buy again later, and if you shop around, for a really good price too.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    As a guy who's lived and giged in Florida for over twenty years....

Take the money. Nobody down here gives a **** about what you use. Peavey owns this state.

If you can play Gimmie Three Steps, Margaritaville and Brown Eyed Girl on it, you can make money.

Besides that, you can expect lots of gear to be fire-saled real soon as people need cash to fix their roofs and clear downed trees.