Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I gotta have a synth effect on the bass.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RunBeerRun, Jul 14, 2004.

1. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    I have a korg g5, an akai deep impact, an electro harmonix bassballs

any others im missing?

i also have the ibanez synth, but its so midrangey for solos only. and i use an electrix filterfactory for chirpy sounds. i have a line6 bass pod synth which is like the boss one.

you can hear them at my recording project site, http://runbeerrun2.tripod.com

i had a roland v-bass but only two strings would work at a time with the pickup on my cheap samick 5 string, i think there was not enough room between the bridge pickup and the bridge

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ehx bass microsynth
    digitech bass synth wah
    and if you're including the bassballs, then I guess other envelope filter pedals

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

4. The Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth is an awefully tasty and versatile unit that is able to get some really old school analogy sounds and it perfect for recording but no so durable or easy to use for live.

5. I was really excited to get my Boss ME-50B and try out the synth but was disappointed when I couldn't get a clean synth sound, all sounded distorted or had some fuzz on them. Are all syth pedals like this? The sound I was expecting or trying to get was something like this: www.thenewdeal.com

I know that this bass player is using a Roland V-bass, but I didn't want to spend a ton of cash and I also didn't want to dedicate one bass to the GK pickup.

Any thoughts?

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the new deal is awesome

you could get a GK pickup, a GK > MIDI converter, and hook it into a synthesizer or computer program. if you already have access to that, then its cheaper than a V-Bass system already.

7. Most of the "synth pedals" use a square wave or distorted sound as their basic sound but the MicroSynth can get some cleaner smoother sounds and there are a few cleaner choices on the Deep Impact as well.

8. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    One of the sounds that yer man uses seems to be a pure subbass sound I don't know if this is the one you mean but I can get it with a gt6b and I'm sure you can with an me50b also.
    As someone here was good enough to pass on how to get this sound to me it would be rude of me not to forward it .
    I don't know if this is the sound you are looking for but...
    ... use the octaver, turn the direct signal down to zero and the octaved (down) up as high as you like. Play high up the fret board or it won't track so well, and boom, insteant cheap keyboard synth sub bass heaven. If it doesn't cut through too well add a touch wah drive and some drive/fuzz after (I'm assuming the you can change the effect order on the me50b).

9. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Not that I know of. You've covered the best of what's available. as far as I can see. The digitech has a couple of slightly different sounds but generally pales in comparison to what you already have.

10. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    ok cool thanks! i dont have a bass amp so i play thru a line6 bass pod, its sounds great on a good stereo

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The Digitech BP___ series has a few neat synth sounds, but the Octaver feature is AWESOME. Great tracking -- you don't have to play high at all.

12. No you can't. Can you do that with the GT-6B? Could you have a compressor and then a synth? And then switch to a synth into a compressor to hear the difference?

13. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    You can put the effects in any order you like. I'm amazed that the me50 doesn't allow you to do that.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think it doesn't allow it because it's useless for most people.
    If you except a few personal choices like the order of wah and dist, order of pedals to get the best tone is pretty much always the same.

15. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Have you tried the Line6 Filter Modeler? I've been fiddling around with them lately in shops, lots of choices for synthy sounds and the like. Plus you can save four different patches. Less that the Deep Impact as I recall, but more than the one setting on an EH Microsynth. I like the Microsynth tonally, but with the multitude of sliders, probably not something you could adjust in a live setting at all well.

16. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
  17. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    to all of the people saying you cant use a micro synth live, one of the guitarists in my band changes the settings on his micro synth quite a few times during the course of a set. during one song, he kneels on the ground and slides one of them back and forth to create huge sweeps and swells.

18. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I use an OC2 with the dry signal all the way down into a Mooger MF1. I get that exact sound with this setup. I think that's what Dan Kurtz uses for that sound. I saw both of those pedals on his board last time I saw TND.

19. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't think I ever said it COULDN'T be used live, just that it can be a hassle for a few reasons:
    1) no presets, so you have to manually change if you're using more than one sound
    2) They're not built very robust - the sliders come off very easily.
    But they are great pedals, although you should always keep them in loooper loop or such as they're tone suckers when bypassed.

20. WOW! Thanks 6-stringer. THIS is the sound I have been looking for. On my ME-50B, I set sens/bottom to full left position, depth/tone and resonance/e.level both to full right. Always a little compression and to spice up if needed a little overdrive and reverb & chorus. Too bad I can only play in the high register, but hey I'll adapt.