Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I gotta problem

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Sonic, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

Hey Watt, I've been looking for a new 4 or 5 string that are hopefully a half decent quality, I can afford on a very SMALL budget, Any suggestions?

2. Stick O'Dbwee

Stick O'Dbwee

Oct 21, 2002
    Arizona
    I'm obviously not Watt, but how about a mexican p-bass? Cheap and works for me.

Maybe he will chime in with a good inexpensive one.

3. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

the mexican fender p-bass is a great suggestion and I recommend that also.

on bass, watt

4. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

Got any suggestions on amps/cabs?

5. watt

hi,

I think a good beginner amp should be at least 300 watts (rms) and a 2x15" cabinet or two 1x15" cabs. this will allow you to be heard over a drum set.

on bass, watt

6. 300 Watts rms?!?!? Gotta jump in here, Watt...I think you could get by with a 100 watt amp, esp. for a beginner. I actually just ditched my Hartke 3500 amp for a Kustom 200 (100 watts) ,and I use a Univox 1060 (105 watts) also (I don't consider myself a beginner, but sometimes I sure feel like it!). They do just fine in getting my bass blended in with the rest of the fellers in my band. BUT, that said, I do use a 2x15 cabinet, and that helps....

7. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

dude I'm not the most experienced player, but in no way am I a begginer. I already own 2 basses, I was just thinking about a new one.

8. watt

hi,

it takes like three watts (rms) of power for bass to match every one watt on the guitar cuz of audio physics. it's always good to have more power than you need anyway so you have headroom and don't have to run the amp so hot. remember, you can always turn down. w/not enough power, your low notes will really suffer and not have punch. that's my experience.

on bass, watt