Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I gotta see some FRETLESSES (Show your fretlesses!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by addylewis, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Thinking of getting meself one made up...

Show us some to give us an idea of 'em! (lined/unlined whatever!)

2. Dingwall Fanned fretless...
    gotta love a Novax fingerboard. The magic is the epoxy coated wenge. Tons of punch, tons of mwah, and a 37" B string that kills
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its surprisingly easy to play

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Here's the most recent one that I've built and posted in another thread. Alder body, maple neck with line bloodwood fingerboard, Seymour Duncan Vintage Single coils.
    [​IMG]

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    FBB lined fretless 6 ...... :cool:

[​IMG]

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My Elrick fretless:
    [​IMG]

My old Hill Custom fretless (big pic):
    Hill pic

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Bad picture, good bass.
    [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my two carvin beauties

8. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Here's my fretless zebrawood/ziricote five-string Lonnybass.

Attached Files:

9. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    OK.

Here is my old Acacia custom 4 string fretless.

Show it to you? Well, duh. This is the Internet. Click the link. It's interactive. :)

10. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    Schecter Stiletto Studio 5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Modulus Quantum 6 TBX Fretless.

I recently had the board serviced by HG Thor at GuitarLab. Not real cheap, but he does excellent work.

12. M.D.S.

M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    Scotland
    Fretless Schecter (Probably) J-Bass, late 70s/early eighties (maybe) rosewood (judging by the way it cuts off the circulation to my right leg if I play for too long this is certain)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crap picture, awesome bass...

13. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    My fretless Lakland USA JO, modified at the Pedulla shop...
    I'm putting some dough aside to get the headstock paint matched...

14. That thing is Beautiful, How much did it cost you?(PM me if you dont want to be public with it)

Not Mine, But I wish they were.

[​IMG]

Turners Double neck Conklin
    [​IMG]

Peavey Cirrus
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MTD 535 fretless
    [​IMG]

Thats all for now, Ill post more later. Ive been having serious fretless gas Lately

15. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    [​IMG]

Modulus body, Warmoth neck. I don't know how that Fender decal got there...... :rolleyes:

16. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    [​IMG]

Warwick Corvette Fretless. :cool:

I don't have any better pictures. :crying:

17. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Tbirdbassist,
    What is that beautiful bass with the f holes?
    thx!

18. I found that pic when I did a google for "Fretless bass". its from some school for Luthiery in Phoenix, www.roberto-venn.com The guy who made the bass is Bart White. Go into the instructors section and look in there, Hes done some cool basses.

19. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Bought it for $1800 on e-bay. I really expected bidding to go quite a bit higher (saw a Q5 TBX go for $2400 BIN recently - and it went pretty quick, too). I just bid what I could afford because I had always wanted a neck-through Modulus. It was lined fretless, normal lines with dots on the board. Funny thing is, the e-bay description did not say it was fretless, and the pictures looked fretted because of the lines and the dots. So I thought I was getting a fretted Q6 TBX. Didn't know it was fretless until I opened the case. Worked out perfectly, because I had been saving for a fretless, but spent that money on this bass because it was a rare find; I was planning on then selling one of my 5's to fund a fretless, but instead I wound up with the TBX I'd always wanted AND a fretless in the same bass. Cool.

It had some wear on the board. Nothing drastic, just slightly uneven "mwah" in some positions. I really like the way un-lined boards look, but I didn't want to give up the visual aid of lines, so I had HG Thor remove the factory polyester coat, drill and fill the dots, then paint the lines with a color matching the cocabola top, leaving 1/4" white on the top edge of the neck, then finish it off with an epoxy coat. All that work ran me $550. I seriously considered doing this work myself, but just couldn't chance it with a bass as rare and valuable as this one. Anyway, having had the bass back for about 2 months now, I can absolutely say this was money well spent. It looks fabulous and plays perfectly.

So I've got $2350 in it. Unless something extremely drastic were to happen, I'll never sell it, so I see no reason to be secretive about what I've got in it.

FYI, it's got Bart quad-coils and a Bart 2 band pre, Kahler bridge.

20. OwO

OwO

Apr 23, 2004
    Incoming in few weeks (knobs missing on picture)

[​IMG]