Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I gotta stop buying these pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Sep 7, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Couldn't say no to a Sans Amp GT2. $85 used with honest wear, the box, battery and AC adapter. That makes 4 OD/distortion sources in my signal chain. But tplyons mentioned somewhere before that this is pretty normal. :cool:

If you gig I guess (I don't). :oops:

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    A Boss DD-5 90€, do you think it's worth a buy ? I don't have any money left, but this delay is really, really tempting me...

For you : as long as you have money, I don't see the problem. Enjoy life and don't bother you... :D

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I will take a DD5 over a DD3 any day.

a) It's capable of delivering more delay.
    b) It's in stereo so you can pan your echoes. IMO this is a very good effect when playing for an audience.

As for my pedals, my wife is beginning to complain that it is hard to vacuum around them in the music room. :)

4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    I just saw in an other topic that "GC" is having Echo Parks for 89$...

Would you think it's a better deal ?

5. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
  6. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    No, this one seems to be a DD-3.

It's on a french forum. In fact, I almost allready told the man I take it. I loved my DD-6, except for the tap tempo thing. So the DD-5 with the exernal tap tempo seems perfect for me.

But the Echo park, it's something else... I'm terribly hesitating...

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    GT2 = good stuff. I actually prefer it over the BDDI for bass.

8. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Yeah, I don't wanna know how much i have spent on pedals since I got my job at the beginning of the summer. Let's see.....Depth Charge, Boss GEB-7, Custom 4 Loooper, MXR M-80, Akai Unibass, Digitech Bass Synth Wah, Rocktron Banshee, Aphex Bass Xciter, Korg DT-10, EB VP Jr, and a Boss LS-2! PLus I am very close to getting a Tube Screamer and a ABY Loooper. And I have a custom pedal on order!

Gotta love Visa....

;)

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Did the Depth Charge get there yet? I think I did 4-7 day shipping it should within that range by now.

10. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Nope, it still hasn't arrived. I am expecting it any day now. Fingers are crossed for tomorrow or friday.

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You can tell Matt that I fudged a little and didn't send out the pedal till today. I told him I sent it on Tuesday, but I got sidetracked.

I hope you dig it.

12. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Is it bad if the extent of my bass rig is bass -> cable -> amp?

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Why no. KISS is good.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well it certainly doesn't give you much to discuss in the Effects forum, but not inherently bad, no.

I'm reevaluating my pedal usage and the board I am planning now will be much more bare bones than my last one.

1 overdrive
    1 fuzz or possibly a high gain distortion
    1 flanger
    1 envelope filter
    1 wah
    1 volume pedal

With everything but the wah and the volume pedal in a loooper 3.

15. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Since the end of July/Start of August I've bought: Original Marshall Guv'nor, Ibanez SB-7, Dod FX25, Wobo 2 looper, MXR Bass Auto Q, and a 105Q. And I've sold a Morley Dual Bass Wah. (And bought 6 Venom Patch cables and 2 Pro Control patch cables which cost me £20 which wasn't bad).

16. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Here's my honest question. As bass players (I do both bass and guitar regularly, but get paid more often to play bass), do you really find a lot of use for various effects?

I mean aside from finding that *tone*, what else do you need? How much need actually arises for a bass wah? Or bass overdrive? Or bass delay? Much less for MULTIPLE VERSIONS of the aforementioned effects?

My guitar rig consists of a flanger, 2 eq pedals (for that *tone*), a wah (that also does distortion, but I don't use that part), a dual channel distortion pedal, sometimes a delay, a volume pedal and a noise suppressor/gate. It then goes into an amp with 3 channels (1 clean, 2 levels of distortion), reverb, and chorus. Live, that is mic'd through a tube preamp to warm up the *tone*.

Honestly, though, I do most rehearsals with just the amp, and rarely do I change from the slightly overdriven sound on it (my axe is versatile enough to get plenty of *tones* on its own).

So my question is, how does a bassist come to the conclusion that a certain song just CALLS for a bass wah? Or for delay (although I once heard a guy play a MAGICAL bass solo over an infinite loop of his own groove)? When does bass distortion really just leap to mind?

Maybe I'm just naive, but like I said, I play a LOT of bass, mainly for hire, and I just don't understand the need for a lot of effects... a compressor perhaps, maybe an EQ pedal for a bit of boost. A volume pedal would be nice. But *actual* effects? I just don't get it. Clue me in.

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I don't get it either, but I'm having fun being clueless! :bassist:

18. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Possibly the best thing I've read all day ;)

19. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    For me, there isn't any need for effects. Just desire.

Of course, you can play without an OD, a phaser or a wah. But you can also play with, and it's sometimes lots of fun. That's all ! :smug:

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Anyone find it funny that all of you have lots of effects, EXCEPT for your moderator. I just have a chorus pedal :p