1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I guess GC doesn't want to make a sale?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Oct 28, 2013.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I've been in the market for either an SWR 1x15 or 1x18 for awhile now, and I just happened to come across one last week when I was browsing Guitar Center's used database (online). It was also located in Georgia which I thought was awesome since that's not too far from Knoxville, TN.

Anyways, I emailed them inquiring about the cab about a week ago. After a few days of no response I sent the manager of the store an email inquiring about the cab and even told him I was ready to buy if he could just give me some more details about the cab and what it might cost to have it shipped either to my house or to my local GC.

Well, it has been a week now and I haven't heard anything from either the manager or (what I'd assume would be) their sales department. I guess they aren't interested in making a sale :meh: It's really off-putting that they wouldn't at least try to contact me to say, "Hey, it might be a few days before we can get back to you, but we will get back to you."

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you've ever seen what they use to step on in order to hang basses on the wall, you wouldn't want any amps from them.

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Call them. I always do this, as their email system sucks. You could've had the cab by now.

4. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    There might be some truth to that :p

Unfortunately, SWR cabs don't tend to pop up too often, so I'm kinda taking whatever opportunity I can get. Plus if it's crap I can just return it :)

5. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I've always had good luck on GC used sales by calling the phone number listed in the description and asking about the condition. If I like what I hear I give them a credit card number and its usually shipped the same day. All in all it usually takes me about 5 minutes for this type of transaction. To me, email is just one step away from snail mail at best and in some cases even worse.

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Something wrong with your telephone?

7. The best way to deal with GC on their used gear is by phone. But, I will throw a caution out....I have noticed that if you call yourself they will usually tell you anything they can to sell it (in other words it is in perfect condition). I have tested this theory. I have a good friend who is an assistant manager for my local GC. I called an inquired about a bass head and was told that it was in perfect showroom like condition. I had my GC friend call and they told him the amp had serious issues. Now keep in mind they do have a 30 day money back guarantee. So, if this does happen at least you will get your money back.

8. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    That's why I prefer email over phone calls. I can keep records of everything and no real surprises will (usually) pop up. Plus I can get photos sent to me as needed. I've used email before and have never had an issue, but I guess I may need to pick up the phone this time and hope for the best.

9. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    In the past, I have had the salesperson I talked to either send pics via text or email, and have specified certain areas I wanted to see. Some of them act like it's a chore, others hop right on it and do it happily.

10. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    In this day and age, it seems like everyone should be able to answer an email within a few hours, but I've found that's not the case. I wish it were, as I HATE talking on the phone!

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've bought a lot of used bass from GC. I have no expectations for any quality control. I've spoken directly to store managers who told me they personally brought in the bass, personally played it, and considered buying it themselves cuz it's so great. Then the bass arrives at my store and it's either dead on arrival or half way dead with crackly electronics. Then I take it back and get my money including shipping back. I've gone back to the store the next day to find the same broken bass on the wall still broken.

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    ime the highest star rating equaled bowed neck, covered in grime, numerous small dings on neck and body, and one large scrape on the bottom

13. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    This is what I usually do. Most of the GC guys I've dealt with when buying used gear have been extremely helpful over the phone and most have either offered to email/text me pictures or have done so if I asked. I actually prefer to get gear through GC's used selection as the shipping is usually fast/dirt cheap and you can drop it off at a store if you don't like it.

Having said that, I have noticed that the email system is a shot in the dark. I have tried it in the past (some answer quickly, some never) and have just found it to be a waste of time.

14. I have emailed GC in the past, it usually takes a week or so to hear back from them......

just call.

15. peteybass

peteybass Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Roseville, CA
    Just put " I want to buy Pro Coverage " in your header, they will respond right away.

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Ha!

That's probably completely true. They LOVE selling "pro coverage".

17. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

JMatt, what GA store is that amp in? I'm near Atlanta, so if it's in one of the stores here, I'd be happy to run over to the store and take a look in person for you. Take you some pictures, record video of the sound, whatever you need. If you decide to buy it and would like to save shipping/handling, let me know and we could work out a middle ground meeting point to get it to you. Just cover my gas and I'd be good for that - it'd probably be cheaper than GC shipping.

18. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Yeah regardless of whether or not you should call any business that publishes an email address for you to use should respond in a timely manner or take the address down.

19. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

http://guitarshowcase.com/

call them was there Saturday and the have a Big Ben in excellent condition and 2x goliath iii's...(4x10) and a couple 2x10's...

3090 S. Bascom Ave
    San Jose, CA 95124
    Call Now: 408.377.5864

Hours: M-F: 11-8, Sat: 10-6, Sun: 11-6

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Same thing happened to me twice but sometimes the phone is just as bad it depends on who you get sometimes the items are already sold and they don't know it for some reason.