1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I guess I am about to pull a not so nice move...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glocke1, Nov 7, 2013.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    A couple of years ago someone I knew who was not quite what I would call a good friend friend but more than an acquaintance started helping my girlfriend and myself out with something…To make a long story short it was something benefitted us both financially, but myself more than him. nothing illegal as an FYI, he had a storefront that he was allowing my girlfriend to sell her jewelry through (and yes we actually made decent money from this).

Since I knew he had a band and was looking for a bass player, and I was essentially in retirement mode but still wanted to get some jamming in, I told him since he was helping me out, I'd also help out his band and jam with those guys once a month or so. during this time I've played a couple of gigs with these guys, none of which were anything to brag about and I didn't even bother to promote or advertise them among my friends.

Two years later, he basically ended his involvement in helping us with the jewelry sales saying he wants to devote that sales space to something else….

As a result I really have no incentive to continue playing with those guys, while it was fun at times, there are too many other things I can use that free time for, such as finding people that I really want to play with now that I am out of retirement..

Problem is I think they have all but forgotten the fact that I was offering my time as more or less a favor for a favor.

2. Remind them. Is it a problem if they have hard feelings about it?

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Yes, remind them and then say that you want to devote that free time to something else.

4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Just remind them and be honest. It is what it is.

5. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Why say anything beyond "I quit"?

6. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I'd tell the guy that one of the reasons you played in his band was the fact that he devoted space in his retail store to the jewellery. Now that the deal has changed, you too would like to devote your "discretionary time space" to something else.

Let him know this was a reciprocal arrangement. I would have no problem with that as a business person.

7. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    so...... let me get this straight.

.The guy was letting your girlfriend sell her jewelry in his store.
    .You join his band
    .2 years later, the guy decides to try to actually use his store to make some money and goes in another business direction.
    .Now you feel like you gotta quit playing with him?

8. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Succinct. Those long goodbyes, nah.

9. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Just like he would like to devote the space for something...tell them you are quiting to devote your time for something else.

10. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    No explanation is necessary other than stating a desire to pursue other projects.

11. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Yeah pretty much. We also had an 80/20 split on the profits with him. He was netting a couple of hundred a month at least just for displaying our stuff.

My playing in his band was more or less me throwing him a bone for helping us out.

12. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    ^^^
    So, the whole thing was a business deal. Walk away clean. A real busninessman would understand.

13. Be a pro and finish up a couple months so they can prep a new guy.

14. Leave "the reason" out of it. Just say "it has been fun my brother! I'm moving on!"

15. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Is the space in the store that limited? It seems a shame to lose that income.

16. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    A not so nice move would be to leave them hanging for a gig you committed to playing. However, simply moving on now that the business arrangement between you has changed is a perfectly justifiable.

17. Stangconv

Stangconv

Mar 3, 2013
    Give them appropriate time to find a replacement if gigs are booked.

18. +1

19. Hmm. IMO, there really is no need in reminding them - just tell him you’re no longer interested playing in his band and you have decided to devote that time space toward doing something else. Then thank him and wish him the best.

EDIT: But you do need to honor all the gigs/jobs you've already agree to do - just don't accept/agree to any more gigs.

20. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I would do it without burning any bridges.