I guess I really like MXR. LOL

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by armybass, Apr 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    EB3565A9-00BF-4B17-A2FB-9592A32F7C24.jpeg

I recently condensed my Medium board. and my Large (silly) board and kept my favorites and sold off the rest. And without any intention I wound up with a board of mostly one brand. MXR. It’s good reliable stuff and it’s sounds amazing on my $150 Bar band gigs lol. I had some other really nice stuff that sounded great and was more expensive than the MXR but I found the MXR to have a sound that I could quickly dial in consistently and that is worth everything to me.

4StringAxe, wmmj, zapped777 and 10 others like this.
  2. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    The MXR bass stuff really sounds nice and plays really well together.

Bassbeater and armybass like this.
  3. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    That's a great setup. Without trying to derail anything, do you mind if I ask about your placement & use of the preamp & especially the micro amp: what do they do for you/how are you using them? How does that preamp vary from the M80 (I have the M80 and use it for achieving a certain tonal variation when desired)? Just curious about how you use these 'tools' as your setup almost matches my identically with some brand & placement variation. Eager to hear & learn.

armybass likes this.
  4. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I’m using the micro amp as a clean boost at the end of the chain but it’s not working that great for me. The preamp is where it is due onluvto accessibility of the xlr out.

5. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Cool - thank you :)

6. armybass

Jul 19, 2001

Using the preamp as a scooped eq for a little slapping and also to put some bottom back in after the TS sucks it out.

LeftyLB70P likes this.
  7. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Why not try the preamp where the micro amp is and use the clean boost at the front?

armybass likes this.
  8. armybass,
    That phaser 95 has me drooling (as does the chorus, but I already have one made by another manufacturer). Do you find you get to use it much?
    Edit: how about the Flanger effect in the Chorus? Do you get to use it that much?

armybass likes this.
  9. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I don’t. I have a micro flanger and I never really used it but I do love that chorus pedal. That and the phaser are my fave timey wimey effects!

10. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    Scotland
    Great board. I own, or have owned most of that MXR stuff puctured, except for the phaser. Like all of them, only the fuzz didn't quite work for me, kept the BlowTorch instead, which doesn't necessarily sound much better but is more versatile. Which reminds me to look for the Bass Distortion, I really liked that one. MXR is really good, some of the super-boutique pedal leave me cold, while these just deliver.

armybass likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I don't get to use it that much, but as long as you're not looking for rocket ship sounds, it's pretty decent.

eriky4003 and armybass like this.
  12. JimmyM,
    I saw another thread 'New Ampeg Pedals' you were given the Ampeg Liquifier to try out by Ampeg. The price point of this pedal is good (even in Canada!). Have you had a chance to review yet? Any idea if it will move into flanger territory?
    Sorry to derail the MXR love thread. I do own the M87, covet the BCD and have toyed with the idea of getting the Phase 95.

armybass likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I have not been given the Liquifier or Opto Comp yet. AR guy knows I want them, but they're waiting on a shipment. Hopefully any day now.

armybass and eriky4003 like this.