I guess I should probably let you guys know...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ...that my girlfriend broke up with me.
    On August 24th.

So why didn't I come running to you guys, crying, asking, "WHY OH WHY?!?!?!?!"?
    Eh...because I didn't really feel the need to.
    But, after a while I figured that since you guys know just about everything else about me anyway...

But seriously, we're still good friends, which is a big plus. She said that long D just wasn't working out for her...which is understandable, I guess, although I was willing to go all the way 'til December when I'd get to see her again...and I'll still get to see her, I just won't get to hug her or kiss her...like that. :p

And, even though I still love her, if she finds a new guy in college...that's great. In the relationship all I ever wanted was for her to be happy, and I still do. Plus, I think I'm pretty much over it all. I wasn't feeling all that down about it or anything...

But I'm disappointed in one thing - it wasn't nearly half as bad as I thought it would be. I just hate being wrong. :p
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what wasn't as bad? breaking up? hmm... something to think about, eh?
  3. Sorry to hear that. It must be pretty hectic considering you're just starting to adjust to a whole new environment of being in college. And all the way to LA from Hong Kong right? And then to receive the news... :(

But congratulations on getting through this. I can especially empathize because I too have just ended a 3 and a half year serious relationship with a girl who I've known for 5 years. We lived together and we were planning on getting married. To make a long story short, we took some time apart and the end result was that we broke up. She broke it off with me, but the way we felt about our relationship was quite mutual.

I know our situations are a little different, but I thought I'd share. The thing is that I don't feel bad about it. Without getting into too many details, I invested A LOT into my relationship. But I can dwell on all the time I "wasted" or I can accept it as a learning experience and as a rewarding experience in general. If someone would have told me 6 months ago that my relationship was going to be over, I don't think I could have faced it. But being in the situation now, I'm actually surprising myself with how well I'm handling it. I can honestly say that I'm at peace because I know the breakup was for the best.

And look at the bright side. There are so many more fish in the sea! :D
  4. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    -its been a long december and theres reason to believe maybe this year will be better then the last-
  5. Ah...

But after this, I've come to the realization that, no matter how mature we think we are, people my age just aren't ready for a relationship.

Of course, that's probably just me, but...oh well. It works for me. Gives me more time to make more friends here.
  6. Sorry to hear it Sheepy - but glad to hear that you're getting through it well!! Hope you'll bounce back soon!

AS far as relationships go, it's your call - but there's no harm in sampling some of those other fish in the sea;) :cool:
  7. Yes, please try to remember. You are at COLLEGE in LOS ANGELES. They make movies about that kidn thing, man!! Go out, surf!! Watch babes at the beach!! Hang out in Hollywood!! I don't know, do something!! There are what, 5 million people in LA? Go meet them!!:D

Rock on
  8. Actually, from what I've seen so far, there's absolutely nothing to do in LA itself, and I don't have a car.

Which wouldn't help me anyway, since I don't have a license, either.
  9. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Glad you got one that could still be friends afterwards. The chick who just broke up w/ me wont speak to me now. But what ever. Its her loss huh? :D

Sorry it happend to you. Good luck w/ the fishing.
  10. Head west man, head west. But not too far, otherwise you'll end up in the ocean and swimming to China wouldn't be a fun trip. It's a long way.

Rock on
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    well.. at least you are on good terms with your girlfriend still. Long distance stuff can really be a strain
  12. bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    OP, any thoughts as we approach the 14th anniversary of getting dumped?
    yodedude2 likes this.
  13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.