Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I guess I'm really a bass player now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tuBass, Sep 20, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Last week when working on my Lawnmower, (not the blade) I sliced my first finger VERY deep. t was such a nasty gouge that literally ripped every layer of skin away that my first thought was that I had to have really messed up my hand permenently.
    As it stands, it really hasn't caused me that many problems, I've just kept it clean and protected, and no nerves or tendons were injured, so I guess I lucked out.
    Here's the strange part. As most of you know, all of my income in life comes from either playing or teaching the tuba. In fact, I have a regular symphony gig that pays very well. But my first thought in my head when I looked down at my bloody hand was not of my future as a tuba player, but "Oh man, what if I can't play Bass Sunday at church" only later did it even occur to me that the injury might affect my tuba playing.

I have included a picture of the injury for those who are interested. Click on the attachment to see it, as I know there will be those of you who will certainly NOT want to see it. It's not as bad in the picture as in real life, because I folded all of the separated skin back over the wound. Under that flap of skin you can see the veins and tendons just plain as day. you will also see that the area around the wound is still dirty. It took me a while to figure out how to clean engine grease off of it, but I finally did it. It's clean now and healing pretty nicely, no infections of complications so far.

2. well,be glad yah didnt have to goto the hospital or whatever...

Get well soon:)

Have fun at the gig on sunday!

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    if being a "real bass player" means to almost chop your fingers then i really dont want to become one! :spit:

oh hum, get well

4. ouch dude!!!

at least you know that you area bass player now! (as if there was any doubt....)

that picture reminds of when i fell of my bike and gouged half my ankle out with the pedal

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    keep an eye on it. if its really deep you might want a doc to check it and wrap it up right so you don't get an infection. then your career might be in jepardy.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Must have pinched a bit :)

Just remember to swap the bandage and clean it on regular basis, preferably daily, so it doesn't have a chance to get inflammated.

7. holy sheeit! hope it heals real quick... :)

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Fresh bandage daily, and cleaning twice a day. It's been 8 days so far, and no sign of infection.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That looks painful. I did a similiar thing to my lower leg a few months ago. Piece of metal went into it. Have a meaty ass scar now bc i was too lazy to get stiches. O well.