1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i guess it's time...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Apr 21, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    So i've been thinking it's time I finally put down the pick and start finger plucking. I really do like the sound of the pick but I want to become a better bassist which means learning different techniques. I'm alright when I use my fingers but not great at it and nowhere near as fast or accurate as when I use the pick. But I guess that's what practice is for.

I just don't want to get to used to just one technique so is there any advice for keeping me balanced (like how often should I alternate).

2. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    One of the best pieces of advice I ever picked up on TB was to record your practices and listen to the results. I tried that with some simple right-hand exercises a bit back and it made a huge difference.

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I spent 22 years using the pick exclusively (and some thumb) When I got a fretless and started messing around with it, the pick just didnt sound right to me (not saying others couldnt make it work though) And there were some songs that just sounded better with fingers in the mix with the band.

At first I got discouraged because I was no where near as fast or accurate but it really all boils down to practice. Sit and watch tv and alternate your finger plucks. Start skipping strings and keep the tone consistent. And as far as rotating your technique, thats really up to you. There are songs I play with my band that sound better with a pick so I use one, but for all the years I played with one, I play 90%+ of the time now with my fingers. Go figure.

4. bertrand TB

bertrand TB

Apr 10, 2010
    Dunkirk
    Is-it the idea that a good bass player learn different techniques or the idea that people have about it?...

5. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    more of wanting to be versitile. When I join a band I want to be able to cover all grounds in playing and not be limited to just one skill set.