1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I guess the bassist CAN affect the whole style of the band.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by consectaneus, May 27, 2018.

1. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    I recently watched a Doors documentary and keyboardist Ray Manzarek said that at one point they auditioned bassists for the group, and that one of them made them sound like the Animals, and another one made them sound too much like the Stones.

I thought this was interesting for those casual listeners who consider the bassist as strictly supportive (if they are noticed at all), with little effect on the band.

PillO likes this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think you're confusing 'TB running jokes' with reality. if a cat can really play and actually has something to say (play) = the whole band becomes 'bass dependent' from the first note! the doors are/were no exception. those left-hand key-bass parts were the foundation. those 'bass parts' are iconic.

good luck "affecting' your band! :thumbsup:

consectaneus likes this.
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Seems like an odd thing to say, because they used session bassists quite a bit in the studio. Doug Lubahn was sometimes referred to as "the Fifth Door." But the session bassists generally played parts as written by Manzarek on keyboard and Manzarek just used his left hand live rather than bring any of them on tour.

The Secret History of the Doors' Bass Players

consectaneus likes this.
  4. Yeah , a bass player CAN change the whole sound of a band. Case in point: A year ago , I broke my left hand in a motorcycle accident (details on page 284 or 286 of the Grumpy old farts thread.) I couldn't play bass but I showed up for three gigs with a sub playing to sing the songs I had leads or harmonies in so the only difference in the band was the bass player. There were a few people that showed up for gigs with the sub and then showed up after I was back playing bass. A couple of them mentioned to Seahag (my lovely wife) that the band sounded much better with me playing. Please understand , I am not tooting my own horn about this. The sub was actually a better player than I am. He knew a lot more songs and had some mad skills that I simply do not possess. The difference was I knew our songs better , I knew what the band needed better , the band was used to what I played and since I was not the hot lick player that he was , I didn't tend to overplay on anything. So , yeah , I've seen it. A bass player can change the whole sound of a band.

FilterFunk, joebar and consectaneus like this.
  5. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Yes, and here Manzarek said (as he's often famous for saying) "here is the Doors bass player" as he holds up his left hand. I think that may be a case of a musician--probably primarily Ray--who had a good idea of what they wanted to sound like, or rather what they didn't want to sound like, and found a way to cover it himself live with a Fender Rhodes Piano Bass.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    My favorite Doors album is LA Woman and that is because of the way Jerry Scheff steered the grooves.;)

7. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    "I can make any band sound like The Who," John Entwistle.

C/S,
    Rev J

danesdad likes this.
  8. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    ^^
    That's funny! I'll bet he could, too.

9. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    It's interesting if you swap to another instrument. I'm play in the borders of folk rock blues country, and playing bass I'm used to having a lot of control on pace and so on. Occasionally though I pick up a concertina (a sort of mini squeeze box) and it's striking how it gives no control at all.