I guess you can't have it all (cables)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Nov 8, 2004.

1. I have two instrument cables with my in my dorm, and they behave in different ways. I'm not sure which to use, as they both have their advantages and drawbacks

Fender Pro-tone: (made by carver) This cable does sound nocibly cleaner and clearer. I know you may not believe it, but I do notice a difference in signal quality. There's no background noise, and it seems that my sounds clearer and more distinct. However, there are some things about this cable that get on my nerves. First off, the tips bend off. You heard me. The tips bend out of position easily. I can bend them back, however, by jamming them onto a flat surface. The other issue is that it makes staticky noises when disturbed. I don't like that.

Generic Music and Arts cable: The sound of the bass doesn't seem as distinct. This is probably something that wouldn't be nocible in a loud setting with a band, but alone it just doesn't sound as refined. It seems to mix a little something into the tone that dilutes it. This cable, however works all the time and doesn't give me aggrivation.

Is there some way to use both of these cables at once, or like breed them or do an operation on them so I get a new cable with the good qualities of both? That'd be nice.
  2. Keep looking for cables. As long as I have decent quality shielded instrument cables, I'm happy.

Aren't those Fender/Carver cables really pricey?

You shouldn't deal with "crackity" cables for the price those things go for.
  3. Monster Cables <3

If mine breaks,I take it in and get a new one,no questions asked.
  4. i like my planetwaves cable
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, there are a gazillion "good" cables on the market. If you happen to like the sound of your ProTone/Carver cable, why not just replace the plugs? It's a trivial operation, it can be done in five minutes with just a soldering iron and a few household tools. Good quality plugs can be had online (Switchcraft is one of the industry standard "good" plugs, and Neutrik and others make good ones too, and you can find them at tubesandmore.com and dozens of other online suppliers, average price around five bucks a pop). That way, you can retain the cable's sonic qualities that you enjoy, and have reliable plugs too. Cake and consumption. :)

Just a thought... :D
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

What good is a cable if it is completely unreliable, and needs to be replaced every 6 months? Especially for the ridiculous markup that Monster Cables charge. When a friend of mine who used to work for MARS, he got me a Monster cable with his discount, and the cable that had an $89 shelf price came out to about $24. Basically, cables are nothing but a profit cow for music stores. Sure, you can get a replacement when they break, but who wants to count on a cable that is as fragile as a Monster Cable? The option of getting a free replacement means squat at the gig when the cable decides to crap out.

I've been having cables custom made in lengths of my choosing for about two years now by a guy at the Dude Pit named Pete Brunelli. He uses Canari cable, and Neutrik jacks, and I've been extremely happy with the quality, sound, AND durability of the cables. Plus, I get them in swank colors like orange, blue, and red. :hyper:

It's certainly not difficult to have a cable that both sounds great, and lasts, as long as you know how to take care of them.
  7. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I forgot to mention that I refuse to give money to a company that files stupid lawsuits against any, and every, company that dares use the word "Monster" in any sort of business name. Not only did they file a frivilous lawsuit against someone who sells MONSTER (as in Frankenstein and Dracula) memorabilia, but they also are currently attempting to sue (amongst others) Fenway Park for calling the seats behind the Green Monster "Monster Seats" and the Chicago Bears for calling themselves "Monsters of the Midway."

Heck--they even tried to sue Disney for having the nerve to have a movie called "Monsters, Inc." No, I'm not kidding.

They are currently suing a company called Monster Vintage for using the word monster.

Here's a list of current cases they have filed for "Trademark infringement"

The last time I looked, the word "monster" was around waaaay before Monster Cable was founded in 1979, so, Monster Cable can kiss my monster a$$.

Oh, and their cables suck.
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    A second for Brunelli's cables. They are all I use, both speaker and instrument, and they kick the crap out of Monster or any other such overpriced cable.
  9. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
  10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Another fan of Brunelli here, I have a pair of speaker cables made by him and I have a friend that uses his instrument cables. All in all, very high quality cables at a fraction of the price.
  11. JetJazz

Sep 9, 2004
    Planet Waves Circuit Breaker cables rule!!
  12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I use PlanetWaves, personally. I got tired of cheap cables breaking on me (3 in less than 2 weeks, 2 at the same time) so I bought a couple of the lower end PlanetWaves ones. I'd love the circuit breaker ones, though.
  14. The one nice thing about Monster, whoever, is that even a dumb kid with little money can buy a cable for $25, and be sure that he can get a replacement cable for THE REST OF HIS LIFE. For $25, that's a pretty good investment.

But Mogami are still better. Plus they have a cooler name.

Oh, and didn't Monster buy a baseball stadium? I can't remember which one.

Rock on
  15. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, as someone who gigs regularly, I wouldn't trust a Monster Cable any farther than I could throw it. Having a cable that is free to replace (not counting gas money and time spent in the process) is not a deal if you can't trust it on a gig. What good is a cable that needs a backup because it is prone to breakage?

In 18 years of playing, the ONLY cables I've had crap out on me are Monster Cables.
  16. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
  17. Planet Waves + Ultimate Cables > Everything

18. you mean someone sells 12 ft,gold plated-input cables for $4?
  19. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA

Those $20 "Performer" series Monster Cables are junk! For that money a Planet Waves cable is a much better buy. As Bassmonkee points out, what good is a lifetime warranty to you on a gig. Most companies that offer lifetime warranties do so because they know that a small percentage of people will honor it. Well, I've had to replace too many Monster Cables to make the warranty worth it.

Someone mentioned the pricing before. Monster has this deal that they (and many other companies) offer. The retailer has to sell the cables for the price that Monster determines and the retailer make 50 points on each cable if they do. So a $50 "Bass" Monster Cable costs the retailer $25. They may usually sell a comparable cable for $29.99 and make 35 points. What cable is a salesman going to push on you?
  20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    No offense, but if you really think the "gold plating" on a $20 Monster Cable has any effect on the sound, then you are the exact customer that Monster Cable wants.

Just out of curiosity--how long have you had the cable, and how many times have you had to replace it?