Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i had a bad gig last night

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DougP, Jun 4, 2005.

1. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    the only portion of our sound running through the PA was vocals. the rest was supplied by our own amps. the drummer couldnt hear me, i couldnt hear anything but vocals. needless to say, 4 out 13 songs came out botched. i mean we managed to hold together the changes but for those 4 songs i never got locked in with the drummer. bad bad bad and discouraging too.

Despite all of that the crowd still enjoyed us and all of our demo CDs were given out with a lot of people still wanting some. we hadnt anticipated needing so many demos.

sorry, i had to get that off my chest. i feel a little better now. thanks for listening.

2. all i can ever hear is my lead singers voice/guitar and that goes for everyone and when we tell him he's to loud he tells us to shut the F up. he used to be really cool but now he's got LSD(lead singers disease) and an ego bigger than texas. last night he threaten to leave the band and i said "DO IT" and he said " YOU NEED ME TOO MUCH " i almost left my self had it not been 10 minutes to first set and all my gear set up. but i am thinking on leaving as soon as i can find something else to play in. SINGERS SUCK !!!!!!!

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    thats bad! i am sorry to hear that.

this wasnt the fault of my singer. in fact, he is a bass player also, so he likes to hear a lot of bass in the mix. since we dont have guitar player, i dont have to worry about guitar players ego/loudness. ours was just a simple case of the house sound being really bad.

4. I had a singer who we thought was tone deaf, and he always sang a little sharp, so we told him and he got all pissy and quit. it seemed strang every gig we had he always got a "cold" right before and thats why he sucked at singing

just seems to be another bassist complaining to their peers

5. amused2KAOS

amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    there was this one band that i was in that had someone that like who always wanted to be the loudest, most upfront instrument.when we would rehearse they used to use my bass amp for the vocals and let me use a crappy amp that didnt have a volume knob. plus my hearing is kinda sensetive and my ears would be ringing after practice because of how loud they turn up their amps. there was pretty much no need for a bass player and after one gig i said "dude, i dont like playing bass in this style (style as in following the rythm guitarist and copying everthing he did) i quit." and a little while later the lead guitarist quit that band too (he was in another band with me that i love because its very different and challenging) and weve continued with our band ever since, but the band that i hated broke up after the lead guitarist left.