Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I had a car... until today

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ldiezman, Oct 19, 2002.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Ok. so I am home fall break... not doing anything except sleeping, eating, and reading... Well this morning I went to get a hair cut because i am a bit shaggy.. I was waiting to get my hair cut in the lobby of the hair cuttery place. I had been waiting there about 20 minutes when this woman comes in screaming from the back door... I finally realized she was saying "someones car is on fire!!! its a white car". there were only 2 cars in the back.. mine and this old ladies car... they were both white.. I thought it had to be her car because my car was in good shape... But no.. It was my car.

I run out there and see flames under the hood... some is trying to put it out with a hose.. that was pointless so I told them to stop... We had to get the old ladies car out of there so I ran in and had her give me her car keys.. So we moved her car away.. about that time the Tires exploded and everyone ran for cover... the Flames are now about 10 feet high and black smoke is everywhere... the fire department shows up and gets after about 10 minutes they put the fire out....

Well needless to say.. my car is destroyed.. I am assuming it was a gas leak.. the horn was going the entire time.. so i doubt it was an electrical fire..... Luckily I had taken my bass and my rig out of the car last night... But my Guitarist amp was still in the car.. Its a Koch amp.. it was in the trunk so it only got a little water on it and it reaks of smoke.......

All in all.. it sucked.. but it was i will admit kind of cool to see flames shooting up out of a car.. i mean I have only seen that in movies and cops... I'm really thankfull I wasn't in the car.. that wouldn't have been fun at all.. I am going to take pictures of it tomorrow.. so hopefully I can scan them onto the computer...

Sorry for it being long.. I just thought I would share my story with you fellas :)

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :eek: :(

ouch!

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hopefully it wasn't a car you were really attached too? Sorry to hear it, gettting new wheels is a pain in the butt.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    pics plz

5. Gah! Your guitarist's amp was a Koch? Those things are spendy!

Sorry about your car, too ;)

6. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Do you have insurance and if you do, will they pay for the damage? Sorry to hear about your car. You are taking it quite well...I would p'd off if that was me but thankful I wasn't in it.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sorry to haer about the car, but since you dont seem to upset, I guess I have one more thing to say.....

Pics please!!!

Peace
    Nick

8. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    hope you have full coverage.?..

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    what kind of car was it?

insurance?

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Been there, done that. It sucks. I watched my 75 Monaco(with a 440 cubic inch cop motor) go up in flames several years ago.

Sorry for your loss.......:(

11. Oh no! Sorry about your car Idiezman,, bummer!
    I remember seeing a Pontiac Fiero melt on the side of I-5 once.....Better luck with your next auto...

Fetch!

12. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    One time we had a car at my store do that... the only thing is we couldn't get the other cars around it out in enough time, so it took out two other cars with it. I came too late to see the flames, all I saw was the charred frames and stuff. It twas an awesome site, wish I had seen them up in flames. I mean, it sucks, but it sure as hell would have been entertaining! :p

13. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I do have full coverage...

ok don't laugh.. Its a 1994 crown victoria police package..

I used to drive a ford taures.. until 3 months ago when the air compressor blew... my grandfather won this car in a closed auction.. he only paid $2,130 for it.. he was suprised he one.. But I checked the books on this car.. with high mileage, I should end up getting anywhere from $4500-$5500.. not much.. but more than what it was bought for..

AND YES PETER those Kochs are spendy.. but have you heard these things.. they sound excellent.. even if it is a guitar amp... Loud too.. his rig is 1/3 the size of mine and has absolutely no problem keeping up... he loves it.. I told him what happened.. and I just check out the amp.. and it works fine.. so the water didn't do anything to it.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Tough break on the ride. Hope the guitar player's amp is O.K.
    You can get attached to an instrument and a setup, don't ever love a car. As beautiful as they can be, other motorists and mechanics don't share the love. Stones and road debris don't like cars much either.;)

15. Any reason figured out yet? Cars that are turned off just don't spontaniously combust.

And yeah, lets see some pics!!:D:(

Rock on
    Eric

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sorry to hear about that - but at least no one was hurt! Quick thinking about getting the old ladiy's car outta there!

Glad there wasn't too much gear to get soaked. At least your insured and will beable to get a new set of wheels soon!!!

That must be the most expensive haircut ever!

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    No exact reason yet. the insurance company wasn't open on sat.. I guess People don't get in wrecks on the weekend ;). But I assume it was a gas line that broke... and From what I understand (I am no car expert like several of you TBers) The engine will get hotter after turn the car off... so it just ignited the gas.... You can see where the fire was when it started.. once I get these pics you guys will understand what I mean.. the Whole car wasn't burned up.. just the front part... it melted the Glass... so it was a bit warm i assume..

I'll probably know more within the week about assesment and causes and what not..

18. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    DANG! That sucks man. Good thing that you and your rig were not in it.
    Maybe you could buy a cheap car with the insurance money...and spend the rest on some bass stuff;) .

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Fieros are notorious for starting on fire -- the oil filters are positioned directly above the exhaust manifold (and the engines are in the rear, eliminating the direct air contact that front mounted engines get)! If whoever does the last oil change isn't careful to get all the oil off of the manifold, you could have a problem! Cool, huh?

Sorry about your car, Idiezman! Just be glad you weren't in it when it flared up like a pack of hemmorhoids!

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My friends got a 92 Crown Vic, and I have to say it is the coolest car.

Its so incredibly big compared to all the other losers around us who have their Mustangs and Hondas and BMWs. Forget fast and expensive, I think its the cool big built like a tank cars that rock!

Its great for playing pranks! We have a teacher at our school who's room is adorned with odd things his students have "permanently borrowed" like 20ft movie posters, pizzaria statues, light up Santa Clauses, and school mascot's uniforms. My friends and I have decided we're gonna tie up my little brother (with his permision of course) throw him in the trunk of my friends car and take him into the teachers room in a sack on April fools day as prank.

Imagine his face when he see's that we "kidnapped" a 13 year old!

I challenge you to find another car with as much trunk space!

Peace
    Nick