1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I had a few friends lend a hand...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mikeyswood, May 2, 2010.

1. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Some friends lent a hand while I am making a bass for a good friend of mine. I think it went well. ;)

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Good one. New camcorder? :D:bassist:

3. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    All right, plenty of MOJO in that neck now!

4. irishryno

irishryno

Jan 22, 2008
    Alabama
    Even my wife who considers me a big nerd, thought that was way cool of you.

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    too funny

6. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    Excellent Mike, very nice. But did you have to watch and make sure those guys didn't mess up the neck with that saw rasp. :eek:

7. GrinchBass

GrinchBass

Jul 26, 2009
    CT, Hudson Valley, Randland
    Just under Commercial Status!
    Nah, I saw it going backwards and sideways a bit.

8. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

Jan 27, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    LOL....The labor cost of that bass has to be in the gazillions!!!!

9. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    So, mike... wanna be best friends? hahaha

10. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    :D

11. rdrr

rdrr

Mar 29, 2005
    Newburyport MA
    bender-applause1.

Well done.

12. Groovy!!!

13. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Thanks. The timing and opportunity were too perfect. It just happens that Josh is who turned me onto Vic's music nearly a decade ago. He was wanting me to build him an instrument but wouldn't be able to budget it until this year. I told him to start designing last year so I could have the woodwork completed by the time he was ready to spend. Since attending the '07 BNC, I have been trying to get Josh to experience it; so when Holly asked me to volunteer this year I knew that there were larger things at play. I am pretty sure that Victor Bailey telling Josh to get down there will be enough to send him over the top.

V

^ That. I tried to give them a quick explanation before filming and some got it, some didn't. I have about a minute of Adam carving with his head down. At the last second, and right as I had committed to turning the camera off, he looked up. Momma Wooten got into really quickly and was sawing pretty hard!

Steve was the most concerned about going too far but this was in such rough shape that he would have to saw for hours before the profile was in risk.

If any of you guys get a chance to experience this camp - you absolutely must! It's a week that will change your views and open your eyes to everything.

14. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Very cool indeed.

I'm just hoping in the near future, that I get a chance to do this. It's just been hard to orchestrate lately.

15. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Jason - The cost is minimal ($750ish for a week of unbelievably great food and intense instruction), the amenities are perfect (camping; now with a full bath house), and the people are phenomenal!

The challenges can be a bit tough. You are a recent dad, right? But if you talk to your wife and anyone that has been to one of these you will both see the large potential and minimal cost.

A must for any and every musician!

16. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Mikey,
    Fortunately cost isn't the issue, god knows I make enough with just gigs to cover that in a short time (well that and donating to charity, to off set the taxes). I guess the real issue is planning for it. Plus as far as work, it's more or less substituting "Vacation" time, which unfortunately this year, I have to do with the family, but I've already mentioned it to the wife, so it may still be in my sights in the next year or so.

17. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    It's good to have a hobby that pays. :)

The next Bass/Nature Camp will be in Aprilish '11. I believe that I have two friends attending (Josh being one). Let me know if you decide to go.

18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Way to go, awesome vid!