1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I had an itchy wallet so i went and bought a.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by felch182, Dec 29, 2006.

1. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    Fender p bass 51 re-issue mij in butterscotch blonde. Yay. Don't get it till mid jan though:oops: . I was just wondering what people's thoughts of these basses are. I am thinking of chucking a quarter pound in there. I have got some good stuff in the last week, just yesterday i picked up my ampeg 610. That rocks. I searched it but i could not find anything about any problems or anything with these basses.

Cheers guys:bassist:

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Have one, and love it dearly.
    The SD SCPB3 is the pup you want: big wide freq response, with solid lows, clear highs...
    I have mine strung with LaBella 760FL flats, and it's awesome!
    Problems? None to report.

3. It's a great bass,I have one in sunburst..before swapping the pup out,you might want to swap out the bridge for better intonation..There are direct replacements string-thru bridges that are way better than the stock bridge(Fender deluxe,BAIII,Gotoh ect.).I swapped mine for a BAIII,intonates much better now. I also swapped out the white p\g for a black one. I hav'nt felt the urge to swap out the pup just yet but,if I do,I may get a humbucker that drops right in,Curtis Novak makes one(I believe there is a thread in the pup fourm about them right now)it is a little pricey but,I'm sure its a great pup and NO(60 cycle) HUM.. congrats and enjoy

4. flawop

flawop Banned

Sep 9, 2006
    rawr! ima eat your bass! rar... rar!

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    funny!

6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    ditto on the bridge and pickup. The Fender American Deluxe bridge is a direct, drop-in replacement. The Basslines SCPB-3 is the cat's colostomy. Mine's stock, other than those two mods, and it's a killer.

And don't forget the vintage G&C hardshell case;).

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I carry mine in the tweed Fender bag...just not a case kinda guy.

8. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    It sounds like they are loved heaps by people on here. Chef, i was wondering if that jazz pick up at the bridge was easy to install? I was thinking of putting some quarter pound pick-ups in as well as a ba3. Cheers for the responses guys. I love this forum

9. Gullix

Gullix

Apr 3, 2005
    Norway
    I have the Pink Paisley-version of this one. It's completely stock and I don't think I'll change anything on it. The sound is great in my ears and the bridge do the job. So my advice to you is to play it for a while before you mod it. I had plansfor mine too, but the bass talked me out of it.... It just sounds and play great and I got used to it the way it is.

10. i have the paisley RI and the tone from the stock (if mines stock, as it was new to me) pickup is great, i find the bridge ok, it could be better but im a whore for the looks so the vintage stays as intonation is fine.

as for the tone, it is punchy Pbass but not P bass its more than.

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Mine came this way, but anyone with good router skillz should be able to do this relatively easily.
    I'd move the pup a little further away from the bridge, but, that's me...

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

mmmm...new gear. Always cool. Hope it's a good score.

13. stevetat

stevetat

Nov 11, 2005
    New England
    I'll echo Gullix's comments above. Play it for a while. See how it sounds and how it compliments your other basses before making any mods.

My CIJ TL-110SD (below) has a factory installed Duncan SCPB-1 and the standard '51 RI bridge. It's a great bass as is...no need for any aftermarket parts.

[​IMG]

14. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    The paisley one looks rad as. The whole reason i got this bass was to customize it to what i wanted. At the moment im looking at spraying it lime green or bright orange, replacing the pick guard with a white one, replacing the bridge with a ba3, and chucking some quarter-pound pick-ups in there. I really only bought it so i can mod it the way i want. I will sell the stock parts on ebay or something lol.

15. Meh, I can't buy nuts when my wallet's itchy.

16. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    lol, na i have been working too much lately so i have a bit of money. why not spend it on my passion

17. SkulliesBass

SkulliesBass Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    IMO they have the most comfortable necks Fender ever made, they can also be found on the the paisleys, the sting bass, and the '55 custom shop

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Well if you wanna go nuts modifying it, lemme suggest "DarkStar:"
    telebodyds2.

19. BottleRocket

BottleRocket

Oct 30, 2006
    Australia
    Agree with others on this thread - the 51P rocks! Mine has been contoured to something like a modern P-Bass spec, and the lack of contours would have been my only gripe. The stock pup punches pretty hard - I second the suggestion to see how you go with it before thinking of a replacement.

I'd be interested in taking the black pickguard off your hands (or anyone elses) - mine's white and doesn't fit!

20. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    The pup would be the last thing i change, i was definately going to change the bridge and paint it first, it probably wont be ready till mid year but it should be worth the wait. As for the slab body, do people find it annoying or just different?