Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Had G.A.S. For A Fender Until I Finally Played One...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Feb 13, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Fender is all hype. I'm not saying their basses are bad, they're quite good. But with all the hype surrounding them, I thought i'd be able to walk on water while holding one. They're just another bass to me and don't really stand out.

The Jazz Basses I played were nice, variety of tones but weighed a ton. The P basses were really nice, but it's just another bass to me. I've played a few basses in stores that sounded way better and felt better, and played a whole lot of basses that sounded a whole lot worse.

To me, Fender basses are good, but are just another drop in an ocean of basses. To me their is no best brand. But Fender's marketing scheme made me think that their bass was THE ONE until I picked it up. The whole WE INVENTED THE BASS and WE SET THE STANDARD thing had me thinking Fender was the Lord of basses. They are pretty good though, but not THE ONE Peace....

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Print your rant and save it. One day you'll come around... then you can look back on this with just a touch of embarassment like that haircut you had freshman year.

At least that was my experience with not "getting" Fender (and the hairstyle).

J

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    What ever bakes your muffin dude! :D

anyway, just a few things i thought of.

its great that you went out and played a few before you decided what you think for the moment, but there are many many fenders too. i think i generally like the tones of the older or vintage ones more but the playability can be hit and miss, where as i think the new ones can be more consistant... also your preference can be affected by woods and model differences, but i'm sure you realise that! but an american 75 jazz reissue ash/maple is going to be quiet different to a mexi standard or deluxe with a preamp etc...

also for me, i like fenders and have been drawn to their sound because i listen to older music and more classic recordings (in lots of different sounds, jazz/funk/rock/country etc) that fenders were often used in... so thats the sound i'm building my own sound off... if i listened to more music or basses players that used more modern tones of active basses with soapbars and different timbres or through necks, that would change my personally preference/judgement i guess...

so for me the hype lived up in tone (I and appearence i guess), but i haven't always been impressed with the build quality or the setup...or the sound of some :)

now i've bought a sadowsky, and i love it, you know what everyone says, its like an evolution of a fender, with some modern appointments and beautiful attention to detail... however, i've still been getting my japanese '62 reissue jazz for gigs because its a classic that ill always have use for... and i still want an ibanez sr406 6string that is very different to a fender!

anyway i'm ramblin now, just my thoughts....

cheers.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I felt the same way about Fenders back in the day and after 20+ years of playing, I still feel the same way. I don't like them...even though the mullet's long gone. Different strokes for different folks.

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Fair enough...you don't want a Fender. I was curious to know which model of the Fender jazz you tried out. I ask because some are heavier than others but I have played a few and in general did not find them too heavy.
    I have tried many brands of bass and focus on the feel and sound rather than the name. I have always come back to Fender basses but not because of the stamp on the headstock. Regarding the whole Fender marketing thing I guess it is working because at the very least you tried out a few to see what all the fuss was about. Good luck in finding your bass.

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    IMO, most basses either falls into one of 4 catagories:

1) Fender Jazz Bass (perhaps the most copied bass ever)
    2) Fender P Bass (well, need I say more)
    3) Alembic (the first active bass with wide popularity)
    4) Music Man

With the most falling into one of the first two catagories.
    So, what other basses did you play???

My Fodera is a active Jazz Bass type of bass. And F Bass nails the Jazz Bass tone like crazy even though it looks nothing like a Jazz Bass. Lakland, MM & Jazz.
    A Smith is, well, a Smith and a Music Man is, well a Music Man (but built by Leo)!!

Sure they don't all sound the same as what I noted above, but it's not hard to trace the history.

7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Two words....

Roscoe Beck

8. I was the complete opposite. I disliked Fender's until I tried my J-Bass, then I knew what all the fuss was about. I don't think Ill ever be as satisfied with any other bass, but to each their own.

9. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I can understand how you feel. When I first started playing bass I had a MIM P-bass, it got the job done but I really wanted a Warwick thumb. So after a few years played it through an old SVT-CL and jammed and jammed.

then after some time I realized that I realized the amp wasn't quite getting my playing accross, so I got a Mesa 400+, and the guy I got it form had this Fender J-bass, and it played AMAZING! Shortly there after I got my won MIA J-bass, and I haven't looked back. The only other bass I still want is a Ricky.

As far as the Sadowsky and Laklands, I love'em I'm just not sure if I love them $2000 dollars more than a Fender.

There is a reason why Fenders are the standard.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Fenders sound best with a band. That botique bass that really wows you in the store might sound lousy with a band ... where a P or J bass would sit perfectly in the mix and get the crowd groovin.

11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Forgive me for not understanding, I don't play Fender but have nothing against them.
    Stanley Clarkes Alembic sounds fine, so does JPJ when he plays one, Tom Hamiltons F Bass sounds fine, Adam Claytons Laklands sound fine, plenty of people are gigging w/ Dingwalls, Warwicks may not be "Boutique" but there sure are a lot of people playing them.
    Which ones sound good, but not with a band?

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You really have to go on personal experience about what sounds good in what circumstances. Last week, I played Sadowsky and was not impressed. In that situation, the bass had an action that was too low for my taste and I was not able to crank it high enough to really test it's response. With a different action and a louder or differently set up amp, I might have been singing the praises of that bass. I just say keep an open mind about any instrument and be prepared to change your mind too.

13. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Fender didn't invent the electric bass but they designed the instruments most bass players have been using for 50 years.

Fenders run the gamut from unplayable to unbelievable. Light and heavy. The execution has not alway been the best but the design is still number one.

I would encourage a little more research and play a few more instruments before you state you don't get what all the buzz is about Fenders.

I include Lakelands, Sadowsky, Warmoth, Music Man, G & L and many, many more as they all use Leo Fender's designs.

The fun is in trying and discovering your bass.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I had a lot of GAS for a Marcus Miller bass. I played one and thought it was awful, so I hoped it was a lemon. I played another one that was better, but still felt let down. I guess they're just not the basses for me.

15. I really like Fenders, live and in the studio. They are great solid sounding, if maybe a little ordinary toned due to their ubiquity, easily mixed basses. But even after playing for 20 years I have yet to aquire one. There has always been something else to buy first. But most assuredly an older P is most definitely my next aquisition!

16. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    My first Fender bass was a '70s Jazz with a bowed/twisted neck in about 1980. Needless to say this didn't endear me to the brand.

Last year I picked up a '95 American Standard Precision, and it's a key member of my stable. It's my first ever P-style bass after 30+ years of playing! There is just something about the tone of a P that sits so well in the mix. The workmanship isn't all that great, but it has that sound. At the moment it's the only 4 string bass I own... and I don't think I'll ever need another 4 string.

Fender overrated and overhyped? Sure. Iconic? Absolutely.

17. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I went around every music shop in Leeds and tried as many basses as possible for an entire day. My favourite bass was a Warwick Streamer S1 but a very close second was a Fender American '75 Jazz reissue. If you want to see what Fenders are all about, check out the American '75 reissue, it is my favourite production Fender at the moment.

18. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    lol kids,kids,kids..them always talk about the same

19. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    its all personal prefernce. i think moderators shuld instantly delete all messages that have ppl wasting there time bickering about liking one brand or not liking it. unless u have simething like a review or an objective analysis of the product, your not even telling anyone anything about why you like said instrument.

ad as usual, to each his own. obviously, if one bass worked perfectly for everyone, itd b a rather boring time to play bass. thank god we have these choices and preferences.

20. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Different basses for different folks. Don't flame somebody for their opinion. Geddy Lee keeps changing his bass all the time. He was a big Rick' fan in the day and now plays Fender Jazz. And, yes, love or hate Rush the man can play....