1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I had my first audition - what a fiasco.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pedroims, Oct 3, 2008.

1. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Some days ago I posted an announcement in the Craig's list: Christian Bass Player looking for a band. I got an email same day from a lady asking me if I was still looking for a band because they were looking for a second bass player, after couple of emails back and forth I gave her my phone number and we were talking for a while, we both agreed that this could be a great opportunity either for her band and myself, she told me that she will needed to talk with her leader, next day I received an email from this guy asking me if I would like to join them on Thursday ( yesterday) during their rehearsal and maybe I could play some songs with them, he also sent me 5 songs with the chart chords. Wednesday's night I received another email from them reminding me to be at their church and do not forget to bring my bass.

Well yesterday I was there, 6.30 pm , all the people was nice, smiles everywhere , I was introduced with everybody and then the leader said: He is Pedro and he plays bass guitar and maybe he will join us soon, so far so good.
    7.00 pm they started the rehearsal, their bass player was there so he was playing the bass, I was waiting for my call so I can join them and play some songs ... 9.00 pm, I am still seating waiting for my call, suddenly the leader said: enough for today, rehearsal is over, then the leader told me , thanks for coming !! , I was like: what that heck you mean , then he asked me that if I would like to have an audition on October 16 , then he said, " wait cant be on the 16, maybe end of the month, what ever, I have your email I will let you know, I hope you enjoyed our rehearsal after that he walked away , I was so confused, I took my bass and I walked away .

Is this a polite: " Thanks but you do fit in our band" ... actually they did not gave me an opportunity to play a single note ! , they are my age group, with same musical skill. I don't think that I would like to do another " audition" for these guys.

so this was my first audition, I have another next Monday I am sure it can't be worst :crying:

2. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    No, it wasn't polite. They wasted your time and were basically rude, asking you to bring your bass and audition, then not giving you the chance. I would not have anything to do with them again, if it were me.

3. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    That was verrrrrry strange indeed. I could see letting you hear them do a song or two to see what they are about. After that it should have been your turn to run trhough a few of the songs you learned. It Sounds like the band leader drew some sort of conclusion just by looking at you. If he contacts you again (which I doubt) just tell him you are no longer available.

4. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    bogus in extremis

5. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    So not cool......I would e-mail the lady and the leader and tell them that this was very inappropriate. What is it like the Kung Fu master seeing if you are worthy, and come back and put you through the same thing again. Bottom line they should know they did you wrong. Peace

6. Doesn't sound cool to me. Is this for volunteer/fun? Or a paying gig?

7. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Since they have a bass player, what are you doing there exactly?

8. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I don't understand why some people have to be so thickheaded and selfish toward others. I don't get it. Some people just do not think. :rollno:

9. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    After the 1st 15 minutes I would have unpacked my bass, got out a cable, interrupted their playing and said "where do you want me to plug in?". Depending on their response I would have then played or packed up and left. 2 hours of sitting on my hands would not happen.

10. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    They are looking for a another bass player to share the Sunday service, one week one player, the other week the other player..

I supposed to play some songs but they never gave me a chance to show them what I could do for them. I actually learned the songs, when all the members of the band were constantly looking at their music sheet stands.

The sax player and the singers were really nice and I could say that they were happy to having me . The leader, bass player and drummer were more serious.

The worst thing was that I left my kid criying at home because he wanted to play with daddy and I also had tickets for Paul Baloche's concert that I missed for attending this audition. :scowl:

I was thinking to write them a note and tell them that their actittude was not appropiate but they do not deserve more of my time.

I was not expect a check for this gig , I was thinking doing it for free.

it was a weird night

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Send them an invoice for your wasted time. If nothing else as a joke to get the point across that you value your time and you realize that they wasted it.

I would NOT give them a benefit of a doubt and another audition.

12. +1. Why did they want you there? To see if you fit in musically or socially?
    ? Because the other bassist has another gig on alternate Sundays? None of the other members rotate do they?:confused:
    The only other way this makes sense is that they want to drop the existing bass player...but aren't telling him that up front.

13. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    That was totally WHACK.

14. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Better yet... send the CHURCH an invoice for your wasted time. At least that way the church will get some idea how they're being represented. Or misrepresented.

:)

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i would have been pissed!

they should be embarrassed!

16. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

It sure sounds like they made a decision based upon what you look like or how you talk or something superficial.
    Too bad. Especially from a Christian group.
    It is also possible that you are victim of some sort of internal struggle in the band. I would not take it personally.
    Good luck on Monday's audition.
    Mike

17. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    show up next time with a bunch of death metal gear and play ridiculously loud. fuzz bass all around. tell them how the way they treated you last time drove you to Satan since he at least knows how to treat musicians right.

:ninja:

or don't

18. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    In your shoes I'd gently let them know that they should get their act together, but only if I could rise above venting about how they did me wrong.

I'd send a note along these lines:

"After learning the audition charts you sent, I was really looking forward to playing with you last night. So you can imagine how disappointing it was to not get a try out, however brief. Still, it was nice to meet you all. Good luck in the future."

19. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Concur. Well put.

20. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

oh yeah , i LOL'd ...:D