Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I had my first gig yesterday.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by John Davis, Aug 11, 2001.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Well, as you may have guessed from reading the title, my band <a HREF = "http://aegis.version9.net">Aegis</a> had its first FULL gig yesterday. They had one earlier but I could not show up. Well, the singer wanted to play nothing but originals, we all argued for a while then just said ok(he's kinda stubborn sometimes). We came to this decision(sp?) 3 days before the gig. We had to perform 3 songs at the gig and we had 3 days to write them. We got lazy and I wrote "the whale intestine song" which is nothing but me slapping and popping on my bass with a messed up effect (Crying Cat, on a Boss GT-3 guitar effects pedal) and our singer speaking my messed up lyrics with no scheme to it what so ever. It sounded "new age-ish" according to us. Then after that 10 minutes was up, we spent the rest of the 3 days writing songs. They were damn good for songs that took 3 days to write lyrics and music for. Needless to say however, I ended up playing crapified bass lines. Well enough of the before, now to the gig. We played "the whale intestine song" first, everyone was looking at us wierd(duh). Then the other two songs I got to play the intro by my self, and the guitarists came in late both times. *screams*
    Other than that I would say it was a pretty good gig, and I wasn't all that nervous.

2. gluified

gluified

Aug 11, 2001
    hehe, i was nervous as hell.

that's why i screwed up so much.

and i couldn't hear the vocal cues, but that's just me. i don't think the vox were on!

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Why were you nervous? The songs weren't that hard, and hell, we practiced enough.

4. gluified

gluified

Aug 11, 2001
    i think that when we screwed up it really shook me up. then the second time it REALLY made me nervous.

it's fine until something goes wrong.

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    lol

It would be easier if we were talking on AIM, not on a message board.

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    are you two both in the same band or something?

7. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Yup.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I can't relate.

9. gluified

gluified

Aug 11, 2001
    NO! it's all lies.

10. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    That hurts. :(

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    then call each other on the @#$(*&@ phone instead of wasting Paul's bandwidth!!

:D :D :D

12. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    This was originally just to let people know that I had my first gig the other night. Then Al decided to come on in. It's his fault!