1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I had the most awful thought....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by capnjim, Aug 22, 2012.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    So, naturally I thought I would share with my fellow TB'ers.
    This really freaked me out! Plus, I was stone cold sober.

You know at night when you can't sleep and you have all these thoughts running through your head? like a voice you can't stop?
    Well...for some reason, it popped into my head that this might be what death is. Just an eternity alone with your thoughts.
    Freaked me out! How many times can you count to a billion???
    Millions of years of just you all alone inside your head!
    Geez..I really need help!
    I just had to vent, get it out there...it really spooked me!

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Millions of years, repeated infinitely! Scary stuff.

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sounds nice and quiet! Now spending eternity dealing with other people's B.S.--now there's a scary though :bag:

--

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    no such thing as an awful thought.
    This can help solve your dilemma.

5. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

6. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
  7. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I was trying to bore myself to sleep last night by "watching" a dry documentary on the government and politics of previous civilizations and one little bit gave me food for thought. Apparently,the end of the Egyptian dynasties came about because the last reigning pharaoh ruled for 90yrs and outlived any possible successors..This made me think "Dear God! What if I live too long?!" Ever thought realistically about how long you want to live? That'll keep you awake at night!

8. I could live with that, it's cool, they all know me here :)

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    But you don't think when you're dead, so you merely experienced some quiet time. Not enough people get that these days, so consider yourself fortunate.

-Mike

10. ^ yes quiet time is awesome

i literally will put earplugs in for 5-10 minutes if i need it..

and try not to think about a thing... except... thinking about not thinking... clearing your mind takes practice

how it's made alway's works for me if im going to watch some mindless TV... i can't watch documentaries specially about historical stuff... cause i like it.

11. I just imagine a possibility if you were a bad person to indure something horrible. It would be the worst thing possible for you , a horrible experience tailored to you. Like the job I am working right now is miserable, I hate it and my last day is friday. In death though I would work it no-stop , with this jerk of a supervisor breathing down my neck , always feeling fatigue, etc. Eternity of that.

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    The thought has crossed my mind. Though, the flaw in that thought is that youre actually awake and thinking.
    Death, to me, seems more akin to the state of dreaming... unconscious thought.

A brother after my own heart! Thats heaven right there. Me, a grassy knoll, and the badgers at play.

Mediation can achieve the same results, without the earplugs.
    It takes time, but with practice one learns to tune out all auditory, as well as physical and mental, distractions.

13. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Wasn't there a Tales From The Crypt episode about this?

14. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I think you should smoke something up, chill out. :)

15. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yep. Dead folks don't think or go to parties or suffer indignities. They're just dead. Ergo; thinking of death is futile. Enjoy life while it's there to enjoy.

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I think death is more like that period after you fall asleep but before you start dreaming... just plain ole' black... since your dead it probably won't bother you...

I don't believe in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy... I don't see any other fairy tales worth buying into either... and if I was going to pick one to believe as fact it would probably be Harry Potter because I've always wanted to be able to use magic...

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Uhhh... you're wrong there buddy. My friend Bernie throws the best parties!!

[​IMG]

18. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Oh my god, I forgot all about that. Ugh, the 80's.

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    False: Oingo Boing "Dead Man's Party"