1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I had to remind myself "it's a 25.00 bass!"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Alternate title:
    Never throw ANYTHING away!"

I bought an RBX260 for the purchase price of $25.00 off ebay. The description said the only issue was a wire that needed to be resoldered. Well, I got it today and the wire was the least of the problems!. I opened the box and there is a bass rattling around inside with a few wadded pieces of newspaper at the bottom of the package.

I reached in and pulled out the nastiest thing I have ever seen. The fretboard has some kind of funk on it. It's possible it was a mixture of bull semen, puke, and dust. The bridge was rusty and crusty as well as the strings (strung wrong with 100 windings on the tuner posts.) There is a chunk missing on the lower horn on the back of the bass. The electronics were dead (I expected that.) The control plate was in the bottom of the box.

I was pissed, but I said to myself "what do you expect for 25 bucks?" I carried it to my deck and drug out a box full of crap I was going to chunk. I found enough parts to complete a nice bridge, screws for the control plate and a Jazz bass wiring harness with the front volume pot missing (CTS 250k pots and a .047uf cap.) It fit!

I cleaned her up, put on a used but good set of strings and plugged her in. I was pretty suprised at the tone! It's ugly, but it's cool! I don't know what to do about the missing wood yet.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Id of trashed it myself and concidered it $25 poorly spent. Could of had a couple pizza hut pizzas and drinks instead. Lol.

3. Heck, for $25 I would consider it better than a $250 bass.

4. Good deal! I spend more on a set of strings.

I recently bought a dusty, but otherwise new condition Johnson Jazz bass off Craigslist for $50 the other day. Still wondering what use it is to me, but it was only $50!

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Hell, any bass that plays is worth $25, even if you have to tweak it out a bit. I'd personally just put a big ol' band-aid on the ouchie and call it a done deal...as far as the interesting mixture on the neck, a 3M pad and lemon oil will clean the front, for the back, I'd take 400-grit and lightly sand, then 600, then oil it with tung oil or gunstock oil. Great feel, did it to a couple of mine with awesome results. Looks pretty, too.

6. Ugly, but cool...and it works. Rock your ugly, pink, $25 bass. Rock it.

Oh, and leave that chunk alone. It adds much to the attitude.

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Heck yeah! It's a bass I can take on work trips with zero fear of dinging it or having it stolen out of my truck.

8. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Ahhh.... that's my kind of budget.

Kid in the Jazz band where I teach makes a Yamaha like that sound pretty decent out of a Roland Keyboard amp. There are good tones to be had with those Yamahas.

Maybe you can embark on a trading spree and see how far you can get. Like that kid who bartered his way to a house...

9. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I had nothing to lose so I used Murphys Oil Soap on the neck. Worked great. As soon as possible, I wiped it down and oiled the neck.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'd sand the color off that sucker, along with that missing chunk of wood, and then hand re-finish with a wipe-on finish. But that's just me.

I see the makings of a cool bass underneath the funk and miserable paint.

11. Look at the bright side, you don't need to spend any mint on a case for it.

12. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Looks like a pretty decent bass to me ;) I'd try using some sort of epoxy filler for the missing horn part, then sand down & paint it.

13. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I think I am going to strip it, reshape the damage and apply a Tru-Oil finish.

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Don't be surprised to find that the body is plywood.

15. I think you would be better off to repaint it. It is doubtful that a lower end model bass like that would be made of decent wood. I just refinished a Japanese made Ibanez that retailed for around $600 new. The body wood was ugly under the finish so I had no choice but to repaint it.

16. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Careful, it might be a plywood body. :D

17. rito25

rito25

Oct 10, 2010
    I have I yahama RBX 350 I got off the bay for $90. That thing is great. Its great you were able to fix yours up.

18. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    for $25 thats obviously very worth it.

lucky.

19. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    take a little sandpaper and round off that lower horn... call it a day and enjoy it.

20. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'd leave the ding...it's Mojo.