1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i hadn't heard, but luthier bill collings died last month :(

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pcake, Aug 9, 2017.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    bill collings made his own versions of classic martin acoustic guitars. they were very nicely made, and i really liked his size 0 and 00 guitars. i used to play them at mccabe's in santa monica, and they were beautiful and sounded beautiful.

an interview with mr. collings from 8 years ago

a guy playing a collings OM1

bill collings contributed a lot to the acoustic guitar community, made wonderful instruments and he'll be missed...

cdef, Tom Bomb, bholder and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    It's really sad that he's gone. Mr Collings - Legend! I hope the shop stays. I've never played one of his guitars. They command a good price and he has quite a following. He lives on in these beautiful guitars :) I was looking at some online only yesterday, like this one - ten grand in your money, secondhand - COLLINGS D2H MRA Adirondack/Madagascar 2010 guitar w/Hard case/456

Just watched this. His is an impressive company. There's a lot of dedication goes into these instruments. May they never stop making them.

pcake likes this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I gotta admit, I skimmed past this thread several times in the past 24 hours wondering "Who's Luther Bill Collings? Sounds like a lame C&W singer!"
    Wasn't until just now that I actually read the subject line closely and realized it was luthier Bill Collings! Him I know! Geez, I'm an idiot...

And what a loss, his work was renown. I know so many guitarists who put a Collings on the top of their GAS list.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Oh wow. My Dad has had a few Collings flat tops over the years, fantastic stuff. He also started doing high end electrics a few years back. Hate to hear this news :(

pcake likes this.