Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I hate amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Personator, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    I've been searching to find a new amp to replace the peavey KB-300 (1x15 plus horn) ive been using, but it ends up costing too much valuble money that good be spent on a fretless or new video card. My question is, can one get by without an amp? I currently have a sansamp DI, could that, an EQ, and maybe a compressor or something, plugged into a PA, make a decent tone? If I bought an sansamp RBI or maybe even an SVT pre or somthing, would that be good? Thanks.

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    How could you hate something that brings many of us so much joy???

Maybe once you start looking at amps, you'll see how cool they are and a month from now you'll have the biggest rig on talkbass (and the smallest bank account).

My point is: there are so many options and cool sounds out there to discover-why not open up? And why would you want to be completely dependent on a P.A.?

Amps are fun!

3. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    You can run straight into the board and just have a monitor to hear your sound in.

Problems can arise with this setup. Most bass players don't like it. For me to do it, we'd have to have a monitor engineer (seperate from the house engineer) who we trusted and who I knew was concerned about my sound. Most of the time you get one guy who runs house and monitors - if you get monitors at all. He has a lot more things to worry about than how your bass sounds to you on stage. He spends about 15 seconds trying to make the bass sound good out front and if he doesn't get something he likes, he just turns the bass way down and leaves it there for the rest of the show.

So is it possible? Yes. But just remember, you are not a priority for most soundmen. And without your own setup, you are absolutely at the soundman's mercy. So you're usually better off being in control of your own sound.

As a former proffessional soundman myself, I think it's a great idea. One local band I worked with regularly went that way. After trying several different rigs and spending all kinds of money, the bassist finally agreed to let me handle him through the monitors and just leave his bass rig at home. Everything was much better after that. But, he knew that I, as a fellow bassist, would care about how his bass sounded. Also, I was motivated to make sure he sounded good because I didn't want him to start bringing his rig again.

4. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Yeah, i was planning on playing some stuff at a local store next week, but im just wondering if one could get by without spending all the extra money.

5. If your not willing to buy the tools to do the job I doubt you will get much work. What ya going to do if you get in a band that wont let you go through the PA? Nothing wrong with going through a PA but you should be able to have on stage volume and the ability to patch into the PA. Buy the best Bass and amp you can afford and have fun.

6. or just buy a loud, fairly cheap power amp and go with that RBI.

7. Most of the clubs I've played (99%) didn't have a good PA. So that means the band provides the PA. Which means that if you don't use a bass amp (and thereby go direct into the mix), the PA must be completely capable of carrying both the Mains bass, but also the Monitor bass (you will need to hear what you're playing). Now this entails good subwoofers for the mains, (with a crossover and a separate amp to drive them), and good monitor speakers capable of good bass. You may even need a separate bass mix just for you--so a separate set of monitors with an amp to drive them. The sound will be great, if you have a decent soundman. However, you're now talking a ton of gear to buy, pack up, tote to the gig, set up, tear down, tote back home, and unpack. Oh and don't forget paying the soundman.

I'd rather have a good amp capable of filling the club, I don't bother putting it in the mix. Keeps the mix cleaner too. Believe me, a good amp can be heard well throughout most any small to medium sized club without putting it in the mix.

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've been wondering about this very thing as well. Right now all I have is 10" 50 watt combo peavy, and its only good for a monitor on small gigs at best-not gonna be able to compete with a guitar and drums. If all goes as planned, my band should be gigging in 3 or 4 months. I REALLY cannot afford a rig right now, and am worried that I won't be able to dig up enough expendable cash for awhile (poor college student). I saw a decent 100w 15" w/ tweeter combo that I coudla fford if I sold off my practice amp, but would that be able to handle small (50-100 max) gigs at all? If I don't stumble across some deal or find a good job soon, looks like I'm at the mercy of the soundman. :(

9. Just ring up some credit cards...the easy way to do it...

Then, when you are like $10,000 in debt, you can look back on all of your gear and say "WOW!"