Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Jun 8, 2005.

1. So I got this HP Pavillion 566mhz, 64mb SDRAM computer from my grandma - Her old one. Probably only about 2-3 years old so it should be running fine (which it had been for like a month). Well, it was and then Monday I went and got a wireless adapter for it so I could get internet up in my room. So that's been giving me problems and the machine was running 98 so I thought that might of been the problem, so I installed XP on it (I've also been wanting to update it with XP). So I install XP on it and then realize my mouse isn't working...odd. So I turn the computer off, unplug the mouse, plug it back in, hit the power button and....NOTHING. Doesn't turn on. So I thought "What the hell now?" So I checked all the connections and tried again and nothing. So I thought maybe the powersupply died. So at 5:30 this morning I got up, grabbed an extra one I had and hooked it up and it worked! Wooohooo! So I get the computer turned on, still no mouse working but I needed to print something out so I just used the keyboard. Well, I had to re-install the printer and I forgot to hook the CD Drive back up (as far as power goes) so I turned the computer off, plugged in the CD Drive, hit the power button and...NOTHING! It didn't turn on. Checked all the cables and whatnot, tried again and nothing. So now it seems like I got 2 dead powersupplies somehow and no clue as to WHY. This sucks.
  2. With specs like that I'd say it's probably more than 2-3 yrs. old. More like 4-5. They say XP can run on 64 mb ram, but 128 is recommended. I'd say at least 256 is necessary. Ram is cheap nowadays - see how much you can put on that motherboard and max it out.

The ps you're using - what's the specs ie: wattage? Is it the same as the original one you replaced? That could be the issue. Could also be bad RAM - get memtest and let it run overnight.

Have you got any virus protection? Firewall? Did you update all to XP SP2 and any other critical updates?
  3. The computer is around 3 years old. She had our old computer (that we replaced 5 years ago) for 2 years then got the one I now have, so it's been around 3 years.

The computer was running totally fine and I was navigating through it well, but when I hooked something up it just wouldn't turn on. The new powersupply was working for half an hour (on XP and for about an hour last night) before I turned the computer off to plug the CD Drive back in, so I don't think it's the RAM and I can't exactly test it since I can't turn the computer on.

And there were no updates or virus protection because I didn't even have internet on it.
  4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I seriously doubt you have two dead power supplies.

I assume that, like most HP's of that vintage, it has a soft switch on the front of the case? Check that, and the wiring thereto.
  5. Leeum

Aug 21, 2004
    England, UK
    Open the case up and take the CMOS battery out the motherboard for a few minutes. Put it back in and power up.