1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Hate Drum Loops

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Sgt. Rock, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    Rookie question inbound...

So, I have a piece of music recorded in GarageBand (Mac, not tablet) and I want to add my own drum part. Can anyone recommend a free or low-cost app that would allow me to write and record exactly what I want? Does such a product actually exist? Help a brother out here.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    GarageBand will do exactly what you're describing.

Sgt. Rock likes this.
  3. Tonetodiefor

Tonetodiefor

Feb 25, 2014
    Marin County
    Not free... But for something that may change your life... May I suggest you dive into Logic Pro X? For the price of a used beater bass you can have a very sweet piece of DAW software. The drummer regions you can create using the new "drummer" can be very intuitive and are quite realistic with some simple tweaks.
    It's a very powerful tool/instrument that is the best $200 investment I ever made!

Gideon352 and Sgt. Rock like this.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Rayzoon Jamstix Rayzoon - Virtual Drum Software
    Not Free, and it has a steep learning curve but you can program in parts exactly like you want them played, or just give them as a suggestion to Jamstix and it will create a variation. Where it shines is automatically adjusting the busyness of the parts based on MIDI or audio volume. Loud it plays more busy, quiet is lays back.
    Try the demo before you buy of course.

Sgt. Rock likes this.
  5. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    I have heard great drum tracks produced in Garageband, so with some know-how (and perhaps a lot of time?) it seems possible. Realistic drum programming is hard, and the automated tools (EZ et al) does a quite good job at automating the variations, so to speak.

Myself, I love drum loops and tend to add variation and texture by (completely manually and acoustically) playing percussion on top.

Sgt. Rock likes this.
  6. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Not sure of your budget, but I've used EZ Drummer happily and I'm no technical wiz. The sounds are quite good.

Sgt. Rock and Luke19Boarder like this.
  7. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I think EZDrummer is in my future.

8. Another EZ drummer user here. On top of the library of beats it comes with, you can also use it as a sound engine with a MIDI keyboard or electronic drumset (or any MIDI controller really) to create and record your own parts.

Sgt. Rock likes this.
  9. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Before you buy anything, why not take the time to learn drum programming FOR FREE in the program you're already using?

Timi likes this.
  10. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I'd suggest getting a drum set. I'm not being facetious. I don't think it would be anymore difficult to learn than whatever software you might use. That's the way I'd go anyway. I'm old school.

11. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Learning to record drums well is an additional (and expensive) art, though.

12. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    Hydrogen is alright for free

13. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    The drum loops in logic pro x is way too cool and intelligent. Strongly recommend, it's just like playing eith a real drummer. $200 and you get much more than that.