Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i hate Elixirs, i love DRS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by loma, Feb 11, 2004.

1. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    idk about you guys, cause u guys have your own opinion, but for some reason i hate Elixirs. i have them on my iby btb, they came stock, and i didnt like them at all, there was no tension, they felt oily, yes i played with clean hands, they are so floppy and loose, i think DR low riders are amazing the tone, the sound, they are great to slap on, they last for like a year which is great, they have tension. i mean whats not to like about DR low rider, but id like to know why you do or dont like Elixirs, and why you do or dont like DRs

thanks!

2. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I like DR's but I love the Elixirs. I like the slippery feel. They are expensive but worth it to me. Although for slap tone the DR's might be a better choice. I can't slap so I am not an expert on that style.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I only play Lowriders or Highbeams, LR's are by far my fav!

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, to each his own. If we all liked the same thing, there would be like one string company and one bass company. I've always liked Elixirs, and I haven't found Lo-Riders to be terribly long-lasting. Gonna try some Hi-Beams soon and see how they are.

5. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    oh but low-riders are bad cause they become thinner when they are in the saddle for the bridge, and thats bad, and all this buzzing comes from it. so like High Beams are a bit better

6. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I am a DR guy all the way. I fell in love with them the first time I ever tried them and they are all I will use now.

I used to have a DR endorsement with a prior band, and my biggest regret was not stocking up on them before leaving the group. I have to travel into the city (45 minute drive) just to pay retail for them now. They used to be delivered by the case to my door.

:crying:

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

Is this with the tappered Dr's? I never use the tappered ones.

8. I like Elixirs (nanowebs) because they have a darkish-type tone for a roundwound string, but give a semi-flatwound type thump.

Mind you these strings came stock on a fretless bass almost a year ago, but I really can't detect any significant deterioration in tone. I play with a light touch. I haven't tried any other strings on the fretless, nor have I put Elixirs on any of my fretted basses, so I have limited experience with them, but so far, so good.

I haven't tried any DR sets.

Mike

9. To each his own. I love DR's because I love the bright sound I get out of them. Elixirs, though I have not tried them, are likely too dark for my tastes.

10. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    One thing that I always consider is the particular appication of strings versus the instrument they are to be used on. For instance, I love the nasty raw tone that Rotosound strings bring out in my Warwick, but think the sound like sh*t on my Modulus. I use DR Low riders on my Q5 . On my Musicman bass I use Dean Markleys. My point being that I do not have a favorite brand of strings that I would want to put on all of my instruments, but rather, which set of strings will bring each bass to life.

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I found the exact opposite. I think LR's sound great on my Rick, Spector, BC Rich, Washburn. The only thing I like more on my Rick is HiBeams. I just love what the LR's bring out of all my basses.

12. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Ricplaya that is great, I wish I liked DR's on everything, than maybe I could order bulk and save some money, those things are expensive. :D

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    But the question is how much did you spend in order to figure out which strings you like on what basses?? I spent a fortune to determine this as i am sure you did. I found that certain strings bring out the best in certain basses. I'm just lucky, I'm converting the electronics in my Washburn 6er to EMG's to match my Spector tone, so I can keep it somewhat simple. You can't go wrong with LR's on passive basses. But man I spent about $150-200 on strings to find this out at least.

14. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    i did spend alot of money on strings but it was whorth it.

15. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

How did you go about getting that endorsement? I'm thinking about trying to get one through DR as well, thanks

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yeah how did you do that?

17. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just put on a new set of Elixer Nanowebs on my F Bass. It's my first time with these. They sound good to me, perhaps not quite as bright when first out of the box, if compared to other SS sets. My primary interest in this brand is that you may not have to change strings as often.

Usually, I need to change strings every 3-4 weeks because most brands (including great sounding DRs) go dead with my frequency of playing. These Elixers are supposed to last several months before going dead. I'll be monitoring this issue and post my findings on my first set of Elixers.

As a side note, I should mention what recently sold me on trying the Elixers. I was over at a friend's house fooling around on one of his basses and noticed that the strings sounded really nice with an almost-new bright tone. So, I asked him when he had last changed strings, it sounded like a few days ago... he responded that it had been two months and that they were Elixers. I was floored. I had been shying away from spending $50 on one set of strings, this changed my attitude.

18. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    i acquired Exilirs because they came stock with my iby BTB, later i went out and bought Marcus Miller Fat Beams, but i kept the Exilirs on, just to see how they were after the new-ness went away, and i have to say i did like them, after most of the precoating went away, i guess the pre-coating was my major beef, ill probably keep the exilirs on for a couple more months, and then put on the Fat Beams, i wanna get to know my exilirs a bit more, but for the price they are retail, i wouldnt buy them

19. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I've not used Elixers before the set I got stock on my SRX505. Before all I used (almost religiously) was Ernie Ball Regular Slinky bass strings.

I'm completely impressed with these Elixer strings, though. The slick feel to them makes them seem faster to me (it may all be in my head, though), and I really like the dark tone I get with them as compared to the EB strings.

I've not tried DR string, though, so I can't make any sort of fair comparison between these two particular brands of string.

20. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003