I hate getting turned down for gigs.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thomas, Jun 24, 2002.

1. What does it mean when you get seriously depressed after getting turned down for a gig? I had three high profile shows that I was trying to get my band on and all three bookers turned us down.
  2. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    It means you should start practicing more. Not trying to be a jerk at all BTW. When the going gets tough, the tough get going, right. Set a goal for where you would like to see your band in a year, and nail it. And don't sweat this stuff. Most promoters could care less about the musical ability of a band, and weigh everything on how many people you can draw, and how much cheese you can make them. But I'm sure you know that. Just keep pluggin' at it.
  3. Kinda of like Spinal Tap huh?

Yeah i agree, set yourself mini goals too. Like for my band it was "play our first show" which we did, then it was "play two shows by such and such" which we did. Then it was a demo cd which will be released September 7. We have done a pre release and our goal was "get played on the radio" which happened. Its all about taking pride in the small things which have slowly amounted to the main big thing of "we're a decent adelaide band now".

Stick with it, sure u got bumemd on a few gigs, always next time.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    It comes with the territory.it can only make or break you aspirations.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Rejection is a good thing when used properly. Focus on what aspects of the band are good, and which need to development. Use this recent experience to grow as a band. It may help to have a neutral acquintance come in to here the band, and give some honest feedback. It's not always fun to hear our shortcomings, but it's the only way we grow.

Also, how were you negotiating with bookers? Is your press kit well put together? Were your discussions professional?

That being said, off to MISCELLANEOUS.
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    A lot of it doesn't have to do with your abilities, how many fans you have, how well your meeting with the club owner was ect. A lot of it just depends on what style of music you play. My band's been turned down by certain bars, just because the places were/are interested in more modern rock/metal as opposed to the Blues and Classic Rock stuff my band did. Remember, the style of music you choose to play carries a lot of weight on how much you are going to play. A top 40 band is probaly going to have an easier time landing a gig than a Prog Rock band or a Bluegrass group. Of course, location has a lot to do with "What's hot and what's not".
  7. What bugs me is that we can't even get the "cool" clubs to talk to us. You know the ones that all the 'fans' think mean you're good but the ones that treat bands like ****. Yet at the same time we have clubs contacting us out of the blue to play there, people we haven't sent press kits or demos to, usually they've either run across us online or else gotten given a demo or CD by some random fan or whatever.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

$20 x 50 = $1000
    $ 5 x 100 = $500

Do you need an accountant, Ed? ;) :p
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Swiftly passing Enron Fuqua...

I had a conversation where the guy told me that local venues don't like originals, don't like instrumentals and don't like weird (guess what we play?). I made the conscious decision to play less gigs but retain the original instrumental weirdness of it all. Most venues won't touch us. We have played one gig this year and it took me a week to come down. I'm doing what I want to do (in that project, I have others).

If you want more gigs play covers and wear matching suits.

The point is-what do you want from your music?

When you know, go get it.
  11. I wanna be a f'ing rock star already!!!!

We've already figured out the lack of booking due to playing original music, to not being southern rock or rap core or jam music or country, but we can live with that.
    The problem is the seemingly random booking some places do, why can the band that opened for us last week, brought four people, three of whom rode with the band, and play half covers and half very hackneyed originals get a slot at Atlantis and we can't?
  12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sometimes, that's the way it is, bro. I say, take what you can get and make the absolute most out of what you take.

Oh yeah -- remember the names of the bars that don't want you there, as maybe some day your band will be a household name and you can dis 'em on Behind the Music!