1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I hate gold harware!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Micolao, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    :mad: I hate gold hardware...it sucks...
    Does anyone thinks the same?

2. I like gold hardware but only on very dark brown or red woods. Chrome/silver hardware on such a rich color just sort of clashes.

3. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    OKayyyyyy????:confused:
    So why do you hate gold hardware???:meh:
    For the record " Because it suck is not a answer";)

4. I think it depends on the colour of the bass. Sometimes it can look a bit flashy.

I had to think hard about my own basses. Only my Warwick has gold hardware, but it's not something I thought about - when I bought it or since.

Maybe looks aren't quite so important for me :)

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I was a little ticked that Warwick Streamer Stage 2 basses regularly ONLY come in gold hardware... I am guessing that a custom design would have me pick what color hardware I wanted but it wasn't worth it for me... Nothing beat playing metal with a gold bass hehe.

6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I think gold hardware on certain basses look ok, usually black ones, but it depends if you want to go for the fancy look or the goth look

7. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I've found it to corrode easier than chrome.

8. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    so don't get a bass with gold hardware.

9. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    "It's funny how the obvious solution will often elude us."
    - George Carlin

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    The problem with gold hardware is that it's only "gold" until a couple of days after you get it home from the store. Most of it seems to wear pretty quickly, and tarnish (OK, gold doesn't tarnish, then why does the "gold hardware" tarnish? Your anwer counts toward your grade). I have a lovely 1963 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman g**t*r on which the gold hardware was probably purty flashy back in the day. Ain't no more.

I'll go with chrome any day.

11. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Now in a more mature state of mind I realize it depends on the instrument.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

12. Looks nice on certain basses. As long as it isnt gaudy, its ok. Gold hardware goes nice with maple (the flamed kind, not the syrup).

13. Spanky2112

Spanky2112

Aug 20, 2003
    Utica, NY
    Speaking of tuners. Anyone know how durable black tuners are? What are they dipped in? Same goes for black bridges...

14. i think that it all depends on the bass... ive seen really nice basses get ruined by the wrong oclored hardware, and ive seen potentially unatractive basses go through a hardware change, and thought they looked cool. i judge from application to application.

15. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    The bass needs to look REAL classy, IMO, to pull off gold hardware. I think I'd get sick to the stomache if I saw somethign like a Fender with gold hardware (unless its one of those really nice Jass basses with the sweet flame tops... those are ok)

16. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
  17. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Munji's gonna get you!

I think it depends on the bass. It's not for me personally, but I don't try to dictate what kind of look other people go for.

If you don't like it, don't get it.

18. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I've been playing a pedulla with gold hardware for about 7 years, and every day I hate it a little bit more . . . (the look of the - now heavily corroded - gold hardwar, not the bass).

19. What about on guitars? I thought this was good enough to lay down 500 bucks for it.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.